Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone served dinner in pumpkins?

(10 Posts)
spookysal Mon 22-Oct-12 19:01:05

I really want to make Halloween dinner a spooky one by serving dinner in a pumpkin/s.

Has anyone done this? If so, what recipe did you use?

No. But that sounds quite cool. <hangs about to gain ideas>

Whatevertheweather Mon 22-Oct-12 19:05:55

I did last year, sort of. I made a beef and pumpkin stew then hollowed out pumpkins enough to fit bowls in then popped some foil over the bowl then put the pumpkin 'lid' back on

spondulix Mon 22-Oct-12 19:34:58

Not quite answering your question but I've made a pumpkin custard inside a pumpkin before for some American friends at Thanksgiving. It was really nice but labour intensive if I remember rightly.

spookysal Mon 22-Oct-12 19:35:29

Did it work whatevertheweather?

I know Frustrated, dd1 would love it

spookysal Mon 22-Oct-12 19:36:53

I've got Halloween cakes for pudding spondulix so its more dinner I'm looking for

Whatevertheweather Mon 22-Oct-12 21:45:21

Yes just need to make sure you buy pumpkins big enough in diameter to fit the bowl in. DD's already asked if I'm doing it again so she was easily impressed smile

She did have to kneel up to reach though as the pumpkins were quite tall!

Whatevertheweather Mon 22-Oct-12 21:48:22

Although here is how to cook it actually in the pumpkin. Might try that this year!

multipoodles Tue 23-Oct-12 08:19:06

I did once, made a chunky halloween stew/soup and served it in a pumpkin but I really didn't like the smell of the warm pumpkin flesh and it was a lot of bother and worry that it would spring a leak!! The following year I served it in a Tesco plastic pumpkin sold for trick or treaking and it was much better, then the kids nicked it and I never saw it again! I wasn't overly keen on cooked pumkin anyway so haven't made it since.

spookysal Tue 23-Oct-12 09:48:57

That looks good whatever the weather.

I am worried about it all going wrong on the night, esp now I've realised the horror of springing a leak. Maybe bowls inside pumpkin is the way to go

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now