Talk

Advanced search

can you cook with a carving pumpkin?

(12 Posts)
CakeInMyFace Mon 22-Oct-12 16:14:06

Hello fellow foodies...anyone know if all pumpkins are created equal? Can only find carving pumpkins for my pumpkin soup. Are these ok to eat?

bruffin Mon 22-Oct-12 16:28:46

yes fine
I made a pumpkin soup and a pumpkin tart out of a large one last weekend. DS is begging for more pumpkin tart so must have been okay.

bruffin Mon 22-Oct-12 16:29:31

Also you could use a butternut squash as an alternative for soup.

CakeInMyFace Mon 22-Oct-12 20:23:59

Thanks for the replies! Will carry on with my soup!

spilttheteaagain Mon 22-Oct-12 20:46:26

Yes. I made a pumpkin & chilli soup with the innards of my lantern last year. Fab as the big carving pumpkins are only £1.50 in Sainsburys and made quite a bit of soup.

multipoodles Tue 23-Oct-12 08:23:07

Maybe they are now, but back when my kids were small and pumpkins had just started to arrive here I wasn't impressed with the flavour, but pumpkins look smaller now and are maybe a better flavour. If I was to do it now I'd probably go for one of the better cooking ones that supermarkets sell beside the butternut, dearer but probably nicer. I hate waste though and would probably use the flesh, but I would add butternut to it as well, oh and lots and lots of spices and seasoning!

bruffin Tue 23-Oct-12 08:45:55

I having been making pumpkin soup for 15 years multipoodles and never had a problem with the flavour. I just use stock,onion and pumpkin and sometimes a bit of garlic.
Although there is a very nice recipe on the bbc website with coconut cream and thai curry.

TiAAAAARGHo Tue 23-Oct-12 08:47:07

Yep. I always make pumpkin pie.

slartybartfast Tue 23-Oct-12 08:48:53

yes, always do- with potato, onions and ginger

slartybartfast Tue 23-Oct-12 08:49:35

although they are probalby cheaper to buy after halloween

emily2908 Thu 25-Oct-12 12:44:48

This website has some good recipies for pumpkin - http://england.lovefoodhatewaste.com/content/make-most-your-pumpkin-halloween

CanIHaveAPetGiraffePlease Thu 25-Oct-12 22:38:00

I thought that our pumkins were grown for animals rather than for humans and as such weren't really designed for us to eat. Similarly the ones in the shops have "carving pumkins" all over to make it clear they aren't designed for eating! I know I had a US friend that used to moan about this.

However if people are making it work it seems a good idea. It would be such a waste.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now