Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Veggie side dishes for a curry please

(24 Posts)

Does anybody have any tried and tested recipes for side dishes for a curry please?

I will be doing a dhal and mattar paneer but quite fancy a spinach side dish and maybe something else with a bit of crunch to it?

Cheers!

VivaLeBeaver Mon 22-Oct-12 16:07:07

saag palak?

YouSmegHead Mon 22-Oct-12 16:09:51

Aloo gobi hmmmm

NettoSpookerstar Mon 22-Oct-12 16:16:02

Beetroot thoran?
Cauliflower pakora?
(will get links if you like the sound of them)

NettoSpookerstar Mon 22-Oct-12 16:17:35

I might do the saag palek tomorrow.
Am making a mushroom vindaloo, and I love spinach.

Lulabellarama Mon 22-Oct-12 16:18:42

I am doing curried salmon and lentils tonight which I serve with cauliflower roasted with garam masala. Easy peasy, you get nice crispy bits round the edges and its really tasty.
It's literally just tossing florets in oil and sprinkling generously with garam masala and some salt then roasting for 25 mins

I love cumin roasted cauliflower - thanks for reminding me.

Mushroom vindaloo eh? Link please!

Sag palak looks like the sort of thing I would hate and dp would love - might just try that.

Thanks - keep em coming!

NettoSpookerstar Mon 22-Oct-12 17:33:06

The recipe is for chicken vindaloo, but I'm using mushrooms as we've eaten meat for the last few nights and fancy veggie tomorrow.
I'll do the sauce, fry the mushrooms separately, then add to the sauce and let simmer.
Doing raita too and probably the spinach dish, but have cauli and paneer in the fridge so might change my mind!

Yum.

Cauliflower in curries is gorgeous.

What are you going to do with the paneer?

NettoSpookerstar Mon 22-Oct-12 17:45:53

No idea, we love malai kofta but have made it loads and looking for a change.
Any ideas?

witchwithallthetrimmings Mon 22-Oct-12 17:48:07

I like making a kind of crunchy picklely coleslaw to go with curry. Just toss shredded cabbage, carrot and onion with lime juice, fresh coriander and chili and salt

shrinkingnora Mon 22-Oct-12 18:04:34

Onion bhaji?

DreamsTurnToGoldDust Mon 22-Oct-12 18:11:59

I make cabbage and carrot thing, half a savoy cabbage, 2 grated carrots. Heat a wok thingy, add in dried chilli and black mustard seeds until they jump, add the cabbage and carrot until cooked, and in half a lemon and a spoon of caster sugar toss a couple of times. Lovely accompanant sweet and savory. Its called Gujerati Cabbage grin

Ooh that sounds gorgeous, Dreams.

Netto - all I've been doing with paneer lately is slicing it into flat slices and frying with cumin seeds, mustard seeds, turmeric, s&p and chill flakes. This is the only way that dd1 will eat it. Could do that and serve with spiced fried onions as a kind of shaslik maybe, with lemon wedges? Woukd be lovely with parathas and raita.

NettoSpookerstar Mon 22-Oct-12 18:58:46

I like the sound of that Remus.
I've half a red cabbage to use up too so might make dreams dish with it.

We love a veggie curry feast here.

LowLevelWhinging Mon 22-Oct-12 19:02:32

my favourite veggie side dish is Madhoor Jaffrey's gujerati beans:

green beans, blanched.

Fry with garlic, black mustard seeds, some dried chilli flakes and a pinch of sugar.

Yum.

ZenNudist Mon 22-Oct-12 19:08:03

I do a stir fry cabbage dish. There are recipies for similar online but I generally free style main requirement is onion fried long and low until sweet and brown, maybe bit of garlic (1 small clove), a tsp mustard seeds, poss some fennel seed or caraway seed (1/2 tsp). Chuck in the cabbage when just washed so still has some water on and stir fry until softer as soft or crunchy as you like. Season.

They both sound great, thank you. Have got a Madhur J Gujarati cabbage recipe that I've been meaning to try.

What about pud? Needs to be dead easy, as I'm talking myself into making about six different curry dishes here!

spilttheteaagain Mon 22-Oct-12 20:49:55

Bhajis! I tend to do 2 onions shredded and 1 carrot grated, the carrot seems to help it all bind. Then mix in cumin, coriander and a little hot curry powder. Mix in gram flour and add water to make up the batter. Stir. Then fry little patties. Once off the heat generously salt them. Delicious!

ScienceRocks Mon 22-Oct-12 20:53:29

Fruit salad grin After that lot, you won't want much else. Most Indian sweets are cloyingly sugary (and I say that as an Indian) so I often do fruit or ice cream/sorbet for pudding.

Do you shallow fry your bhajis, Tea?

Science - I love Indian sweets! Having said that, you're probably right. Am not v fond of fruit salad though - could do icecream with pistachios and a drizzle of honey/oranage blossom maybe?

multitaskmama Mon 22-Oct-12 23:25:25

Some really healthy Indian Veggie recipes here, from saag aloo, to chickpeas to okra! Check it out:

www.healthyindianrecipes.co.uk/category/recipes/vegetarian/

SwedishEdith Mon 22-Oct-12 23:47:59

Madhur Jaffrey's grape chutney is gorgeous and easy but you do need quite a lot of ingredients at first I'm sure it'll come up if you google it.

All this is making me really hungry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now