Talk

Advanced search

Baking ideas for food stall my 12 yr old DD is doing!

(13 Posts)
SerendipityAlways Mon 22-Oct-12 12:25:10

My DD and her friend are doing a stall at a local food festival this weekend. Any one any ideas on what really sells well at events like these? Its an event targetted at children specifically so I expect there to be lots of cupcakes etc. DD not doing cupcakes and wants to try something a bit different, some savoury food etc. Any suggestions most welcome!!!

TheLaineyWayIsEssex Mon 22-Oct-12 12:27:15

mini pizzas with varied toppings (home made base)
little pasties/sausage rolls ( a la greggs)
gingerbread men

SerendipityAlways Mon 22-Oct-12 12:33:24

Thanks Lainey - I concur with the mini pizzas and sausage rolls!! And these are things DD can do herself.

TheLaineyWayIsEssex Mon 22-Oct-12 12:38:40

I have a sudden craving for baked goods.
hope she sells out - is she just doing baking or other things?
Just thinking this time of year caramel/toffee/chocolate apples always go down well

blueberryboybait Mon 22-Oct-12 12:39:32

Having recently done a food fair with a school group things that sold really well were:

- hot chocolate sticks - They melted chocolate into a heart shaped silicone ice cube tray (99p from morrisons), stuck a plastic/wooden teaspoon into it and let it set, into a little celo bag and tied with pretty ribbon.

- similar with marshmallows, mallow on a wooden skewer ( we cut 3 sticks out of a normal wooden skewer from the supermarket) then dipped the top in chocolate and then sprinkles

- Cheesey crackers -a roll of ready rolled puff pastry, brushed with egg and sprinkled with parmesan, we cut them using little fish shaped cutters and bagged then 10 in a bag of 1 inch fish.

Our also made florentines and gingerbread stars.

CMOTDibbler Mon 22-Oct-12 12:41:27

Calzone - they are folded pizzas, so v easy to eat

Savoury muffins - esp mini muffins

SerendipityAlways Mon 22-Oct-12 15:43:16

Ladies - all wonderful suggestions. Love the marshmallows on a skewer! DD is doing a mixture of sweet and savoury and will be doing some halloween themed treats also. On the sweet side she's doing chocolate biscuit cake, rocky road, also caramel slices, homemade fudge plus some savouries. And now all the wonderful suggestions you've all made!! I will be busy DD will be busy!!

sharond101 Mon 22-Oct-12 22:28:55

We did strawberries coated in chocolate and sprinkled with hundreds and thousands.

SerendipityAlways Tue 23-Oct-12 11:14:57

Thanks Sharon - I love the idea of chocolate and strawberries, a great combination!

sharond101 Tue 23-Oct-12 16:19:56

Cherries are good too especially in white chocolate. You can get pink sprinkles to top them off with which look so pretty.

mrsvilliers Tue 23-Oct-12 21:16:28

She needs my easy sausage roll recipe! Less than ten mins to prep http://www.toddler-recipes.co.uk/pork-apple-and-thyme-sausage-rolls.html

Good on her for being so enthusiastic!

SerendipityAlways Wed 24-Oct-12 09:36:21

Mrsvilliers - What a great website, I'm really impressed. And a great sausage roll recipe also - which is just what I needed as i cant remember the last time I made these. Thank you smile

mrsvilliers Wed 24-Oct-12 09:43:48

Thank you! It keeps me busy (and sane...) On reflection those sausage rolls could do with a pinch of salt if they're for older kids and adults, we're still in a no salt world over here much to DH's disgust!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now