Talk

Advanced search

Info needed - quince fruit from my Japonica

(16 Posts)
ArtfulAardvark Fri 19-Oct-12 21:24:17

I assume it is edible?

How do I ripen it off of the bush as it fell off.

I am hoping to do something alcoholic with it, not enough for jelly.

Snazzyspookyandscary Fri 19-Oct-12 21:25:25

I can't offer any suggestions but am envy as I love quince in any form.

ArtfulAardvark Fri 19-Oct-12 21:29:45

Mine all fell off before they ripened but opposite the school there is a bush FULL of lovely ripe quince.

I hate to see fruit that isnt used....the apples from the trees next door just lay on the grass and rot.

frenchfancy Sat 20-Oct-12 12:08:05

If it fell off it probably is ripe. They don't really go like apples or pears, they stay hard. You need to cook it really. Mixed in with apples they make a great crumble, it just adds more flavour.

We make apple and quince jelly - lovely.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 20-Oct-12 17:13:47

Agree with the above that they stay hard. I pick the least damaged ones off the floor as well as strip everything off the bush itself as soon as they start looking more yellow than green. I only had about 4 or 5lbs of quinces last year and it made an absolute stack of jelly!

Frontpaw Sat 20-Oct-12 17:15:45

Jam jam jam! Use a copper pan to get a beautiful jewel colour and add cardamummmmmmmm.

ArtfulAardvark Tue 23-Oct-12 17:18:02

LOL unfortunately not enough to make jam - am going to try quince vodka as they are now turning yellow on the windowsill.

Heavywheezing Tue 23-Oct-12 17:21:29

You are so lucky! Roast them or poach them, nice with pork.

Where are you so I can pinch some!?

I have a quince tree in my garden but it's only a year old. Recently moved where my lovely quince tree still lives, prob full of lovely quinces now sad

ArtfulAardvark Tue 23-Oct-12 17:23:48

Ahh its only a bush rather than a tree unfortunately - apparently the tree ones are even nicer!

I have enough to roast too so I will give that a go - does it take long?

frenchfancy Tue 23-Oct-12 17:28:13

If you've got enough to roast you've got enough to do quince and apple jelly. I think we put less than 500g in our last lot. Need to check with OH as he is the jam king.

33goingon64 Fri 26-Oct-12 13:26:11

I used to have a Japonica quince bush and several years running made Nigella's fancy sounding Italian chutney with it. Yummy. Then found out quince from a japonica is not edible. Maybe do some research before you start eating them. I'm still here though...

ArtfulAardvark Fri 26-Oct-12 13:33:34

I have looked about, came to the decision it wasnt but then read elsewhere it was....confused now!!!!!!

ArtfulAardvark Fri 26-Oct-12 13:47:32

33 - I would cook yourself up some more as I am fairly sure they are edible here

LRDtheFeministDragon Sun 04-Nov-12 11:18:55

They are edible, they're just not as nice as quinces from quince trees.

I put them into apple pies to give them a nice quince flavour.

Grumpla Sun 04-Nov-12 11:35:51

Grate them (I do mine in the magimix, they are like marble so don't bother skinning / coring etc)

Fill large Kilmer jars a third full of grated quince tamped down. Add approx the same amount of sugar. Top up with gin / vodka / rum.

Shake regularly.

For spiced version add ginger / cloves / whole cinnamon sticks as desired.

It is DELICIOUS <hic>

Grumpla Sun 04-Nov-12 11:36:11

Takes about 2-3 months btw

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now