Talk

Advanced search

After seven years as a primary school mother, I'm planning to break my 'No Baking Ever' vow and cook something for DD2's class cake sale tomorrow.

(10 Posts)
Issy Thu 18-Oct-12 10:22:09

Given my lack of baking enthusiasm and skill, what's the most low effort, high effect cake I can bake? Assuming of course that I'm aiming to attract the sticky fingers and hotly held 50ps of a group of 5-10 year olds rather than impressing their mothers.

I'm breaking my vow because DD2 is now in her penultimate year and she said rather reproachfully and sadly this morning as I was rushing out to the office "Please Mummy, just once. All the other mothers do."

Waswondering Thu 18-Oct-12 10:23:58

Mars bar krispies? Rice crispies stirred into a mix of melter marsbars, syrup and butter? (Not sure it fits with healthy eating!!)

small cupcakes topped with glittery sprinkles?

crazygracieuk Thu 18-Oct-12 10:24:01

Chocolate crispy cakes covered in edible glitter.

mrsvilliers Thu 18-Oct-12 12:56:45

I have the world's easiest lemon drizzle cake here http://www.toddler-recipes.co.uk/lemon-drizzle-cake.html

Less than ten minutes to prep, I couldn't believe it.

mrsvilliers Thu 18-Oct-12 12:59:03

Whoops just read your post again! Brownies I reckon, v easy and you can decorate with icing sugar to ramp it up a notch. Or flapjacks, even easier, just reduce the oats and add a bit more golden syrup...

Onlyaphase Thu 18-Oct-12 13:00:37

Something with sweeties on top always goes well - fairy cakes, icing and a handful of dolly mixture on top.

Issy Thu 18-Oct-12 16:04:10

Thanks all for some good ideas. Onlyaphase: Fairy cakes - I'd forgotten about fairy cakes. I'll do those with some of that Dr Oetker cup cake icing that swirls directly out of a can. Sprinkle a few glittery things on top and job done. Zero nutritional value, but good optics!

Onlyaphase Fri 19-Oct-12 14:50:09

Sounds like a good plan. How did it go today? Was your DD suitably impressed?

Tobagostreet Sat 20-Oct-12 20:22:56

Honest advice? I've baked for many kids events, and the item which flies off the stall faster than any cake ever is....

.... Marshmallow on a stick. 3 marshmallows on skewer or lolly stick, covered in chocolate and sprinkles.

Never made them myself, but always a bit envy and angry when they sell out before my baking. They're like catnip for kids.

Do yourself and your DD a favour and make them. (use Halloween sprinkles if it's soon)

Jogrighton Sun 21-Oct-12 00:24:19

Tobago that made me proper chuckle.....catnip for kids!!!

My DS loves marshmallows and I need to make some of these soon x x x

Oushh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now