Talk

Advanced search

What do you do with savoy cabbage?

(18 Posts)
tethersend Wed 17-Oct-12 18:38:22

Am doing sausage and mash and thought it would go... Do I just slice it and boil it? How long for?

Anything I can do to it to make it more interesting?

Kittenkatzen Wed 17-Oct-12 18:39:41

Shred it along with a leek or two and steam/boil. A teaspoon of melted butter and a little drizzle of marmite mixed in makes it yummy! smile

cairnterrier Wed 17-Oct-12 18:39:44

Very finely slice and steam for 3-4 mins (I like cabbage crunchy!). I tend to leave it plain but you could toss it with butter or olive oil.

Oh and it goes brilliantly with sausage and mash!

YouOldSlag Wed 17-Oct-12 18:40:42

shred finely and stir fry with bacon. Mmm

Brycie Wed 17-Oct-12 18:42:14

Definitely stir fry smile

bit of avo added after too

Brycie Wed 17-Oct-12 18:44:44

ou can Asian stir fry with a bit of ginger and chili

CelineMcBean Wed 17-Oct-12 18:45:40

Chopped bacon/pancetta/lardons in a pan and stir fry thin strips of cabbage. Add butter if necessary and if you are not worried about your arteries

You could steam the cabbage first and then bung in an oven dish with precooked bacon bits in it.

Either way it needs so good tasty fat to avoid being yucky grin

SquishyCinnamonSwirls Wed 17-Oct-12 18:45:56

Shred and stir-fry with bacon is my favourite, or shred with a leek or two and then fry with a bit of butter and lots of black pepper.

terrywoganstrousers Wed 17-Oct-12 18:46:38

Stick down your bra when your milk comes in grin

storminabuttercup Wed 17-Oct-12 18:46:47

Stirfried with bacon and caraway seeds!

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Wed 17-Oct-12 18:55:59

Cook as any of the above said, and add garlic instead of bacon, and butter and black pepper.

IdaBlankenship Wed 17-Oct-12 21:32:06

Hugh F-W has a great quinoa and cashew stir fry recipe using kale, but I have used savoy cabbage instead and its lovely.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/feb/05/couscous-bulgur-quinoa-recipes?INTCMP=SRCH

IdaBlankenship Wed 17-Oct-12 21:32:57

Hmm - why didnt that link work.
www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/feb/05/couscous-bulgur-quinoa-recipes?INTCMP=SRCH

tethersend Wed 17-Oct-12 22:12:59

Brilliant ideas!

So good in fact, I had frozen peas with the sausage and mash so I can save the cabbage and try some of these out tomorrow grin

lolalotta Fri 19-Oct-12 07:04:20

Old school but yum, bubble and squeak? grin

carolinecordery Fri 19-Oct-12 16:06:13

I don't recommend olive oil to toss it in as it tasted gross last time I did that. however, butter is yummy and margarine is fine. A tiny sprinkling of salt but too much can ruin it. Black pepper on top. I also steam but I don't shred it too finely. i don't know how many minutes I do it for but I just taste it until I like it. It is so yum, I can't believe I like cabbage.

storminabuttercup Fri 19-Oct-12 20:13:09

Savoy cabbage is actually one of my favourite veg, it's deffo in my top three

But then I like sprouts too, but they are maybe 7th...

Waswondering Fri 19-Oct-12 20:17:46

I did Jamies' 30MM recipe for pork chops and savoy cabbage the other night - he boils quarters of savoy for about 6-7 m then drains, tosses in olive oil, salt and pepper and stirs in a teaspoon or so of .... mint sauce. No, I'd never thought of that either, but this is Jamie, and very fussy veggie suspicious dh proclaimed it "ok for cabbage". smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now