Talk

Advanced search

Which fruit at this time of year?

(10 Posts)
SpottyTeacakes Tue 16-Oct-12 12:43:17

Got some raspberries and blackberries yesterday and they are disgustingly sour. So what's in season atm and not too pricey?

I love this website on what's in season eatseasonably.co.uk/

SpottyTeacakes Tue 16-Oct-12 12:51:03

Oh that's a good website thanks smile It looks like apples it is! It's a shame because dd loves summer berries

throckenholt Tue 16-Oct-12 12:54:33

apples and pears are about all that is current now. I don't believe the sweetcorn on that website - ours finished growing in early Sept.

Chopchopbusybusy Tue 16-Oct-12 12:56:51

Lots of sweetcorn still in the fields here.

throckenholt Tue 16-Oct-12 13:09:00

Are you sure it is sweetcorn and not fodder maize ? We have loads of fodder maize round here (Norfolk) - they have been harvesting it this week and the roads are now caked in mud !

Sweetcorn usually likes it warm and doesn't last this late in the season.

SpottyTeacakes Tue 16-Oct-12 13:12:26

Bleurgh sweetcorn is one of the only vegetables we don't like!

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 16-Oct-12 13:47:46

If you're looking for British then it's pretty much just top-fruit (apples and pears) to take you into autumn. There's obviously no British fruit available in winter unless it's hothoused so you're looking at Spanish citrus or southern hemisphere stone fruit and grapes going forward.

SpottyTeacakes Tue 16-Oct-12 13:51:10

Thanks, that is what I shall be buying from now on then. Might get dd some dried fruit too although she isn't so keen on that

Drladybird Tue 16-Oct-12 16:22:57

Great website, thanks OneLittle
Not really something to eat raw but rosehips are in season at the moment and great to cook with. I stuffed and baked some apples with them on the weekend. They were really lovely!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now