Talk

Advanced search

What do I do with 30 over ripe bananas?

(29 Posts)
OnlyWantsOne Tue 16-Oct-12 12:35:14

Some are completely black ?

What do I do? Feels very bad to waste them.

Do I freeze them?

AlmostAHipster Tue 16-Oct-12 12:36:11

I'd make a load of banana bread and freeze that.

ipswichwitch Tue 16-Oct-12 12:37:13

another vote for banana bread. you need over ripe bananas for that anyway

Pascha Tue 16-Oct-12 12:38:19

You can freeze them as they are and get them out for banana bread as and when.

picnicbasketcase Tue 16-Oct-12 12:38:23

Banoffee pie with the least bad ones, banana bread with the others.

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Tue 16-Oct-12 12:38:54

Banana bread and banana muffins and then freeze.

JodieHarsh Tue 16-Oct-12 12:38:54

Banana jam is very VERY nice. VERY.

frantic51 Tue 16-Oct-12 12:38:56

Yes, yes to banana bread! It freezes beautifully, unlike bananas. If you haven't enough freezer room, I could pm you my address! wink grin

Rooble Tue 16-Oct-12 12:38:58

I was going to say banana bread too. Great minds...

EmpressOfTheSevenScreams Tue 16-Oct-12 12:39:41

Yy to banana bread but I'm sorry, I have to ask... Why do you have 30 overripe bananas?

JodieHarsh Tue 16-Oct-12 12:39:52

Banana Jam Recipe

You might want to use pectin as well.

Honestly, I cannot overstate the lusciousness of this stuff <drool>

Littlemissimpatient Tue 16-Oct-12 12:40:03

Banoffee pie, banana milkshake, bananas with custard for pudding

frantic51 Tue 16-Oct-12 12:40:59

Banoffee pie, another excellent idea! Jodie, really? <googles, "banana jam">

BloooCowWonders Tue 16-Oct-12 12:41:25

Peel, chop, bung in freezer bags.
Put in Magimix with some honey and natural yogurt.
Almost instant 'ice cream' when you need it.
Yumsmile

JodieHarsh Tue 16-Oct-12 12:43:10

Yes, really!

They're too ripe for bannoffee pie by the sounds of it

[pie expert face]

FfionCompletion Tue 16-Oct-12 12:44:30

Another one for freezing. Make sure you peel them first (it sounds obvious but I learned this basic error the hard way!) and chop them up into chunks. Stick em in a freezer bag and they are brilliant straight out of the freezer for smoothies!

frantic51 Tue 16-Oct-12 12:44:49

Only trouble is, Jodie it says firm, ripe bananas work best. OPs are rather past their best it seems! grin Does look nommy though! <adds bananas to next week's shopping list>

JugglingWithPossibilities Tue 16-Oct-12 12:48:35

I love banana cake, but not sure I could use the ones that have gone black - but I'm probably just a scaredey cat !

JodieHarsh Tue 16-Oct-12 12:50:03

Oh that's a shame! I only ever do it with over-ripe ones, because if they weren't over-ripe I wouldn't be boiling them with sugar grin

Maybe that's why the recipe I used (can't remember where I found it, mind) called for Pectin...

nipersvest Tue 16-Oct-12 12:50:53

banana & walnut cake. my own recipe is 125g butter, 125g sugar (i use golden castor), 125g self raising flour, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 2 over ripe bananas, hand full of walnut pieces. mix cake batter in the normal way, adding the banana ad then the walnuts at the end. plop in a loaf tin, and bake for about 40 mins, takes longer then normal cake due to the banana.

NotGeoffVader Tue 16-Oct-12 12:52:11

I used black bananas a week ago to make banana tea bread. It was lovely!

Dare I ask how you came to have 30 over ripe bananas in your possession? smile

TheSurgeonsMate Tue 16-Oct-12 12:55:13

Could be too ripe for this, but it certainly belongs on this thread for other readers with too many bananas:

Peel and chunk bananas. Freeze. Tip into food processor. Blend. Keep Going. Don't worry if it looks like this can't be right. Keep Going. More. More.... Magic! The rubble suddenly changes into smooth banana "ice cream".

frantic51 Tue 16-Oct-12 12:56:03

Juggling black bananas are the best sort for banana bread. smile I have frozen them and used them in banana bread but they do tend to be a bit, "squishier" once they've been frozen and thawed, albeit they were a bit, "squishy" to start with, hence freezing them! grin Mixture was too sloppy so faffed about adding more flour and was perfectly edible but not so nice as normal, which is why I now make the bread and freeze that. (Better result) But frozen ones would be great for smoothies, just my DCs not that keen on smoothies (apart from DD1) and all love banana bread! grin

roguepixie Tue 16-Oct-12 12:57:31

Another one for banana bread (never tried banana jam but have some ripe banana's myself so will give that one a try).

Just one note - sounds obvious but if/when you freeze them make a note on the outside detailing how many banana's are mushed!! It saves a lot of guessing and ruined recipes ... blush

frantic51 Tue 16-Oct-12 12:58:55

Surgeon Oooooh! NOM! MUST try that one! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now