Talk

Advanced search

Cake and Biscuit recipes which will keep for a week (or more)

(8 Posts)
LoonyRationalist Mon 15-Oct-12 12:04:04

I have an event that I want to donate cakes to but will be away - cakes never normally need to be kept for so long in our house!!

Any one got ideas on recipes that keep well? The only idea I have is fruit cake but really want individual cakes/biscuit ideas.

I did think about rocky road or chocolate crispy cakes but do they keep?

GoldenGreen Mon 15-Oct-12 12:07:32

Gingerbread or Parkin tray bake?

LoonyRationalist Mon 15-Oct-12 12:22:44

Thank-you Golden, great suggestion smile Am googling for recipe's now unless you have a recomendation?

GoldenGreen Mon 15-Oct-12 13:54:55

Hi, I can't vouch for this as haven't made it yet, but this is Mary Berry's recipe and is meant to be good!

Traditional Parkin

175g black treacle
150g margarine
100g dark muscovado sugar
175g plain flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1tsp ground cinnamon
1tsp freshly grated nutmeg
275g medium oatmeal
1 egg
150ml milk
1 tsp bicarb of soda

preheat oven to 180c/gas 4. Lightly grease and line 18cm deep square cake tin with greased greaseproof paper.

treacle, marg and sugar into medium pan and heat gently until melted. allow to cool slightly

sift flour and spices into large bowl and add oatmeal. Mix egg and milk together and stir in bicarb. Add to the dry ingredients with the treacle mixture and stir well to mix. Pour into tin, bake for about 1 hour or until firm to touch. Allow to cool in tin for about 10 mins then turn out and cool on wire rack. Wrap the cold parkin in greaseproof paper and store in a cake tin for a week before eating.

Drladybird Mon 15-Oct-12 14:42:50

My husband makes a 'Linzer torte' which gets better with time! You'll have to google for a recipe though as I'm not sure how he makes it. It is lovely.

If you want to cook some biscuits for little ones, i.e. no sugar, these Coconut and Oat Biscuits keep well

Bunbaker Mon 15-Oct-12 22:15:55

Gingerbread is supposed to taste better after a few days.

Why not make something and put it in the freezer instead? I am very fussy and can tell if a cake is a little stale. I often make cakes for fundraising affairs and keep them in the freezer until required. Sponge cakes freeze beautifully - plain or covered in buttercream. Biscuits also freeze beautifully and have that fresh just baked taste you would never get if they were a week old.

Frontpaw Mon 15-Oct-12 22:20:59

Go to the BBC Good Food website and look for the orange polenta cake. Easily keeps neautifully for over a week.

LoonyRationalist Mon 15-Oct-12 23:15:28

More great ideas, thanks all. Googling Linzer Torte and polenta cake right now!

Golden, thanks for the recipe I'm definitely going to make that.

Bunbaker, I'm the same re "old" cakes. I can't freeze as I'm not here. I need to make and hand over a week in advance. But I think I've solved the issue with Goldenseal parkin recipe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now