Talk

Advanced search

Flapjack angst!!!!

(19 Posts)
CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 13-Oct-12 14:11:34

It's stuck fast to the greaseproof paper that was lining the tin!!!!! Is this normal? Will the paper peel off when the flapjack is fully cold? Will refrigerating it help? Or are we doomed to be eating flapjack squares with integral greaseproof this weekend??? <Collapses in a sobbing heap emoticon>

Twinkleinmyeye Sun 14-Oct-12 08:14:02

I feel your pain. I have had this with brownies. I peeled as much of it off as I could and then ate it anyway.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 14-Oct-12 08:41:31

Went in the bin.... Not really sure where it went wrong but I think the temperature was too high. 170C (fan oven) for 25 mins?

Hassled Sun 14-Oct-12 08:44:30

Greaseproof paper is a pointless waste of time. What you need is the other stuff - baking parchment or whatever it's called. White stuff.

I don't think the temperature was the problem - I do mine at 180. The problem was the paper.

catonlap Sun 14-Oct-12 09:10:28

Forget using paper, what you need is something called Wilton cake release. You can get it from Lakeland/eBay/amazon. It is great.

wheredidiputit Sun 14-Oct-12 09:10:52

You need this cake release. You just brush on a small amount and nothing sticks to the baking tray/cake pans.

ScaryBeardyDeadyman Sun 14-Oct-12 09:15:25

Try silicon baking trays. Nothing seems to stick to them!

DrinkFecksArseyGhosts Sun 14-Oct-12 09:18:35

Apparently you need 160 and that's without the fan. So with fan maybe try a 150? or pick up a recipe book or Google it.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 14-Oct-12 12:48:18

The bits I tried were toffee-like and even a little brittle in places which is what made me think they were overdone. confused It was a recipe I was using. Bit reluctant to try again tbh.

DrinkFecksArseyGhosts Sun 14-Oct-12 12:57:30

Well, Nigel's flapjacks were done at 160. grin. I watched the catch up yesterday oniPlayer. His turned out well.

ArtfulAardvark Fri 19-Oct-12 21:46:16

I get the unbleached baking paper from Tesco, I make flapjacks all the time and have never had a problem. Also it is a matter of personal taste whether you like them thin and crispy or, my preference, thicker and chewy.

Dont let it put you off they really are the easiest thing in the world once you have done them a few times, I even melt the butter and syrup in the microwave so mega quick. Plus you can add other stuff to them if you feel like it, for school I add glace cherries, for home cherries and a few drops of almond essence or the children sometimes like chocolate chips in them.

RhinestoneCowgirl Fri 19-Oct-12 21:50:18

I do flapjacks at 160 (fan) for 15-20 mins, and use baking parchment.

Had a terrible school flapjack experience where the damn thing was completely welded to the tin (no paper) and had to chisel it out. Put me off for years.

fascicle Sat 20-Oct-12 15:18:11

I use greaseproof paper and bake at 170 degrees (fan assisted) for 17 mins. So I think it could have been the length of time they were in the oven, or maybe the recipe.

(The recipe I use is 5 oz marge, 3 oz brown sugar, 3 tbsp golden syrup, tsp van essence - all melted - mixed with 8 oz oats and 0.5 oz corn flour, then other stuff added e.g. cherries, choc chips.)

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 20-Oct-12 17:10:56

Thanks all. May roll up my sleeves and have another crack at it but with a much shorter cooking time. Don't often have total disasters in the kitchen these days.

RaspberryLemonPavlova Sun 21-Oct-12 01:16:09

I use re-usable lining sheets which are really easy to use and reliable.

I use 5oz oats, 4 os butter/marge and 4 oz soft brown sugar. No syrup.

I bake at 160 with fan, until its just turning brow at the edges (time depends on amount made)

Nightwish Sun 21-Oct-12 01:48:04

I just grease the tin with butter which works fine.
And I would say flapjack is better underdone than over, it hardens up alot once out of the oven.
I cook for 15-18 mins at 180 in a non fan oven.

Nightwish Sun 21-Oct-12 01:52:18

The recipe my mother and I use is:
12 oz oats
2 tbsp golden syrup
6 oz marg
4 oz sugar
Add extras if wanted

And it has never failed me yet!

lolalotta Sun 21-Oct-12 08:01:33

With fan ovens you need to bake at 29 degrees below what the recipe says for normal ovens...oh and yes, grease proof is a waste of time, you need parchment paper!!!!

lolalotta Sun 21-Oct-12 08:01:59

29?!?! Silly phone 20 degrees lower!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now