Talk

Advanced search

Macaroni Cheese.

(22 Posts)
GreeenFingers Sat 13-Oct-12 14:11:05

I have to say that this is my favourite comfort food. I make it perhaps once a month, but with varying results. I've tried numerous recipes too, some quite good ( thank you auntie Delia)and some not so good( american recipe using equal weight dried pasta and cheese,too rich).
Do any of you have a macaroni cheese recipe you'd like to share?

DorsetKnob Sat 13-Oct-12 14:18:02

Don't make it that often as DD doesn't like cheese. If I do, I don't really follow a recipe. Sometimes I add bacon, sometimes tomatoes on top, sometimes a bit of mustard powder.

I heave though when I hear it called mac n cheese.

GreeenFingers Sat 13-Oct-12 14:20:17

I hate the term Mac''n cheese too.I add a bit of mustard to my sauce, I've also tried nutmeg, that was quite good.

tiredteddy Sat 13-Oct-12 14:21:27

I just make random quantities of cheese sauce and macaroni. Then mix til it looks right. ALWAYS put halved cherry tomatoes on top. Yummy. Serve with bacon on the side and peas.

Fluffypoms Sat 13-Oct-12 14:22:13

Don't have a recipe as such its all just thrown together.
Melted butter flour add milk/cream gtrated cheese and keep stiring.

Throw over some pasta. Breadcrumbs and cheese for topping into the grill. Sorted

My dc love peas and bacon in theirs.
Mmmm I'm hungry now. Might try Dorsets mustard tho yum.

GreeenFingers Sat 13-Oct-12 14:25:01

I love it when it's gone cold and turned into a great slab of cheesy stodge.

I use leftover Gammon joint in mine. Plenty of pepper in the cheese sauce and topped with a breadcrumb and parmesan mix.

AllPastYears Sat 13-Oct-12 14:42:36

My variants:

teaspoon of cumin seeds in the butter as you're making the roux for the cheese sauce

nutmeg in cheese sauce as you do

sliced tomatoes then cheese on top

sunflower seeds mixed with the grated cheese before I sprinkle it on the top

GreeenFingers Sat 13-Oct-12 14:49:24

I'm going to try the cumin seed as I love 'em. Have you tried adding caraway seeds, that works too.I have tried adding a chilli to the water when I'm cooking the pasta, that gives it a kick, but dont forget to remove the chilli afterwards

AllPastYears Sat 13-Oct-12 16:12:40

Not tried caraway seeds, will give it a go. smile

GreeenFingers Sat 13-Oct-12 20:43:11

Got a waitrose ping ping macaroni cheese for tea tonight. At £1,59 it's cheaper than making one and daughter is at grandpaarents. I'm sure it will go down well woth £3.99 bottle of Hungarian wine, also waitrose and surprisingly good when chilled.

mrsvilliers Mon 15-Oct-12 18:43:48

I've got a three cheese version here http://www.toddler-recipes.co.uk/quick-macaroni-cheese.html, goes down a treat with kids.

PetiteRaleuse Mon 15-Oct-12 18:49:10

My cheese sauce is pretty rich as I use creme fraiche with the grated gruyere and a little dijon mustard, a splash of white wine and some garlic. I mix that with the macaroni and layer with slices of fried bacon. Then a topping of bread crumbs mixes with more grated cheese, salt and pepper.

I hadn't ever made it until a few weeks ago, and hadn't eaten it since pre school, but I loved it.

plantsitter Mon 15-Oct-12 19:30:59

chopped cashews on top is nice.

lolalotta Tue 16-Oct-12 07:01:17

I put pineapple and cherry tomatoes in mine, wired I know, but yummy!!! grin

lolalotta Tue 16-Oct-12 07:01:35

Wired???? WEIRD!!!! smile

GreeenFingers Tue 16-Oct-12 09:20:17

I'm always making typos, typing too fast and not checking what I've written, it all makes for a colourful discussion.
By they way all the recipes sound great, I'm veggie but I'm going to try using veggie bacon.

milkmoustache Wed 17-Oct-12 11:53:20

Steamed leeks or sauted spring onions, maybe some peas, and a good tbsp of grain mustard. And breadcrumbs AND seeds on top - yum!

Lilymaid Wed 17-Oct-12 11:57:41

A friend of mine used to substitute a little cider for some of the milk - but you have to be very careful as it may curdle - which gave it a good flavour.
Tomatoes on top definitely and a sprinkling of cayenne pepper to bring out the flavour some more!

rockinhippy Wed 17-Oct-12 12:00:15

Basic recipe, but throw in Stilton & spinach & top with pine nuts to get a toasting in the oven as it bakes - always a favourite around her smile

KnockKnockPenny Wed 17-Oct-12 13:02:37

This the recipe I used, always turns out fab! recipe

TotallyEggFlipped Wed 17-Oct-12 13:57:35

My mum always used to make 'macaroni cheese with all the bits in' - some or all of: mushrooms, peppers, onion, sweetcorn, bacon bits, sausage chunks and topped with sliced tomato and more cheese. She always puts mustard in her cheese sauce too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now