Talk

Advanced search

HELP!! My marrow terrifies me !

(11 Posts)
cc1983 Fri 12-Oct-12 08:30:13

So , in the spirit of generosity, my sister delivered a marrow. Not just ANY marrow , this one stands a good two feet above me. I need to cook this bugger quickly before it mugs me. Does anyone have and delicious marrow recipes? Does such a thing exist ?
All help gratefully appreciated smile

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 12-Oct-12 11:18:45

Marrows are horrible things. Make great compost though!

VeganBody Fri 12-Oct-12 11:23:30

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

MrsHowardRoark Fri 12-Oct-12 11:27:51

I love a bit of marrow.

As Veganbody says, cut into 2 inch rounds and cut out the soft middle part. I stuff the rounds with Bolognese sauce and top with breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. Then bake in the oven for 30 minutes or so.

And any left over marrow could be made into chutney or pickle.

kekouan Fri 12-Oct-12 11:28:45

Why does it terrify you - what are you planning on doing with it? shockwink

MousyMouse Fri 12-Oct-12 11:31:21

moussaka: just use slices of marrow instead of aubergine.

TrinityRhino Fri 12-Oct-12 11:32:14

TWO FEET ABOVE YOU???????

cc1983 Fri 12-Oct-12 19:20:32

Thanks VeganBody and MrsHR, shall face the beast with renewed vigor!

Kekouan - Its not what i'm planing on doing with it, its what whispers... its what its planning to do to the family!*

TrinityRhino-Granted, I maaaaay be exaggerating, but suffice to say, it would win a horticultural competition, whereas I am firmly in the cetergory marked WEED, and a pathetically short one at that.....

midori1999 Fri 12-Oct-12 20:10:29

My Mum used to peel, then halve the marrow lengthways, take out the soft middle/seeds and stuff with a 50/50 mixture of pork sausagemeat and sage and onion stuffing mix. Then wrap in tin foil and bake in a bain marie.

It sounds awful, but it is delicious!

Titchyboomboom Fri 12-Oct-12 21:59:37

Firstly name your marrow ... mine are always Steves... Steve I, Steve II
Makes them less scary and is fun!

Secondly, cut into 4 inch ish rounds, hollowed out... put into a tray and bake for a bit until softish, then fill with bolognese, and put a wacking great tomato slice on top of each one... cook for a while (apologies for vague recipe details!!) pop onto a plate and smother with a lovely cheese sauce .. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Steve n Cheez!

cc1983 Sat 13-Oct-12 10:26:47

Midori - That sounds like a recipe the will appeal to my OH, he has a distinct and suspicious weakness for sausage..!
Titchy - Funnily enough, I am predisposed to naming things...anything really. Aubergines of a certain size are Helga, Ethel or Gertrude! I wonder if there's a market for humanized fruit and veg ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now