Talk

Advanced search

Abel&Cole Veg Box.

(17 Posts)
Mypopcornface Thu 11-Oct-12 12:10:57

From now on I want to get my groceries online but I hate buying veg online so I'm wondering if it is worth ordering a veg box from Abel & Cole every week?

LadySybildeChocolate Thu 11-Oct-12 12:12:52

I used to get one until they changed the delivery date. They are great and last for ages. They do use different suppliers though so I think the quality depends on where you live.

feelingfull Thu 11-Oct-12 12:13:21

In the past I have always been a Riverford girl.

But today I got an Able and Cole freeby through the door so I am going to try.

Order before 9 Nov. Get a free cookbook with 1st order. 4th seasonal set box free. Code is HELLO

Bluebell99 Thu 11-Oct-12 12:14:48

I used to get a veg box from Riverford, similar to Abel and Cole. I found that although I enjoyed getting it, we ending up not eating it all, as there were some very random veg in it, that I wouldn't have usually bought, lots of different cabbages, kale,celeriac.

LadySybildeChocolate Thu 11-Oct-12 12:18:03

You can skip items in the Abel and Cole box, and they will swap it for a surprise veg. You can also tell them which ones you don't like, which is great if you hate celery.

Mypopcornface Thu 11-Oct-12 12:54:08

So can you cancel anytime or there is a minimum time subscription? I'm going on their website tonight depending on reviews here.

DialMforMummy Thu 11-Oct-12 13:22:25

I have started with A&C and I find it great. I think the quality of the veg is fabulous although I have to agree that some of the vegetables don't last very long. It is helpful to have their book for ideas and Hugh FW river cottage veg is really handy to cook some of the unusual veg you get. It makes us eat stuff that I would not normally buy so it broadens our food horizon.
I'd recommend it.

AllBellyandBoobs Thu 11-Oct-12 13:31:12

We've been getting our Veg and fruit (and sometimes meat and fish) from them for the last few years and find them to be brilliant. Some things don't last as long as supermarket bought stuff but that's because it's organic, it does taste nicer though. They tell you the best way to store things so they last longer.

TirednessKills Thu 11-Oct-12 17:13:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LadySybildeChocolate Thu 11-Oct-12 17:34:33

Yes, you can skip what you don't like, but there's no choice as to what it's replaced with (won't be something that you don't like, obviously) as it depends on what is in season. You can cancel at any time.

The chickens are lovely, I do get the odd cracked egg though. The food is delivered in a chill box, so it can be left out for hours if you're not in.

Titsalinabumsquash Thu 11-Oct-12 17:41:34

With the boxes, do you find the really bad weather has either changed/limited what's available or made the quality worse?

I used to get A&C btw they were always fab. I'm tempted to start again. smile

chateauferret Thu 11-Oct-12 17:59:24

I used to stand next to Cole in the choir when he was just getting going. Claim to fame I suppose smile

Titsalinabumsquash Thu 11-Oct-12 18:05:56

I'm leaning towards Riverford atm tbh purely because the option of fruit+veg+meat box, by the time I got a small fruit and veg box from A&C and added 3-4 bits of meat it would be way expensive.

shrimponastick Thu 11-Oct-12 18:10:53

I get the Abel and Cole medium veg box weekly. Always quite good selection of veg we can fit in easily into the weeks meals.

I supplement with veg from Aldi/Lidl as we do get through a lot of veggies.

PlentyOfPubeGardens Thu 11-Oct-12 18:19:10

I used to get an A&C box but stopped because I didn't think the produce was very fresh. Things like trimmed leeks that had been around long enough to start growing out of themselves again, IYKWIM. The final straw was the time I ordered a small packet of bacon and it came in a huuuge plastic sack (seriously, wheelie-bin sized) with an enormous meat-nappy thing in it. The plastic sack was then packed inside a huuuuge paper sack confused

I miss the variety of veg but wouldn't use them again. I think the stuff off my local market is great quality and much better value, although it's not organic.

LittleWhiteWolf Fri 12-Oct-12 08:34:41

I love Abel & Cole and have been using them for ages. I get weekly mixed boxes and I always use everything by the time the next box is due.

AndMiffyWentToSleep Sat 13-Oct-12 15:19:16

You can cancel any time, or skip a week if you're busy/on holiday.
Also if you swap an item in the box the substitute is always interesting eg aubergine rather than boring onions/carrots.
I love A&C.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now