Talk

Advanced search

Advice for getting good food into a veggie toddler who suddenly hates veg!

(8 Posts)
cyberfairy Wed 10-Oct-12 20:00:07

My 19 month year old was generally a good eater but now really fussy with previous favourites such as sweet potato bake and veggie shepherds pie. Loves veggie sausage etc but aware they not too healthy and don't want to puree veg all the time as he is used to eating what we are eating and I would like it to continue and for him to know what he is eating. I do submit and give him avocado on toast (his best green thing) as I can't bear him going to bed hungry (and then waking up in night) Salad and pulses are a no-no at the moment.
He loves pasta in homemade tomato sauce but picks out veg and don't want to just give soup-tried quinoa but not keen, has peanut butter and cheese more than happily.
Is there anything he really really needs at this age and how can I give it to him? Or is it a stage and should I stop stressing?

Strawhatpirate Wed 10-Oct-12 20:21:56

Maybe try sneaking 'guest vegetabes' into tomato sauce and then wizzing them with a a stick blender. You could try sneaking the veg laden sauce on to other things eg a veggie sausage casserole? If he doesn't freak out and notice you have spiked his food with veg then start making the veg chunks bigger. With any look you could get some pulses in if he accepts veg chunks! My friend had the exact same problem with her dd

cyberfairy Wed 10-Oct-12 20:26:58

Cheers-he used to nom everything and was so pleased he ate adult food but might well have to go down that route. Funnily enough I was starving last week at the market and bought a very very spicy chickpea samosa from a stall. Boy demanded it, I gave him a bit and he ate entire thing, whole chickpeas and all. He will not touch spicy things or chickpeas at home...

SamSmalaidh Wed 10-Oct-12 20:29:01

I would just accept he's going to pick veg out of everything at the moment, ignore it, and give him fruit for pudding.

Strawhatpirate Wed 10-Oct-12 20:36:08

It probably is just a phase smile try not to stress it sounds like he has a very good diet. If he would only touch fruit shoots and vegitarian greggs sausage rolls then its time panic stations :D

cyberfairy Wed 10-Oct-12 20:41:15

He loves fruit and eats tons-but we have shared the occasional veggie sausage roll :-(

wanderingalbatross Wed 10-Oct-12 20:49:45

DD has suddenly gone off chunks of veg, so I have started whizzing up sauces and mixing a little cheese in. That way at least some veg goes in! And then I top up porridge, rice pud etc with fruit. It's not as good as I'd like, but I'm sure she'll get better sometime!

Strawhatpirate Wed 10-Oct-12 20:51:37

Everyone has the occasional sausage roll and if they sat otherwise they are lying! Avocados are the most nutritionaly complete food on earth btw so he's getting loads of awesome. Just keep trying to give him sneaky little bits off veg and what nots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now