Talk

Advanced search

What would you cook for this group of guests and their various intolerances?

(8 Posts)
ExasperatedSigh Wed 10-Oct-12 15:16:49

I have somehow invited my family for lunch this Sunday, so need to come up with something acceptable to all.

Dad and stepmum are in their 60s. He has diabetes, she has coeliac disease. Lunch is to celebrate their birthdays.

Nan and her partner are in their 80s. She is highly suspicious of anything but trad English fayre ("why'd they have to muck about with all that sauce?" etc.). He will eat anything as long as he can have a slice of bread with it.

I'm thinking meat pie, tbh grin but what can I make for pudding? Dad hates chocolate cake and stepmum shouldn't eat anything wheaty not that she adheres to this most of the time.

Oh, and it also has to appeal to DH and I (happy omnivores) and the DC (4 and 1).

FireOverBabylon Wed 10-Oct-12 15:23:25

The Coeliac wouldn't be able to have pastry - maybe shepherd's pie (but be careful of the gravy in case it has gluten in)? Baked apple for pudding, then you can add custard / cream or not, according to their needs?

Cies Wed 10-Oct-12 15:24:33

Roast and all the trimmings?

Something like baked apples or stewed plums with good vanilla ice cream is seasonal and celiac friendly.

Iggly Wed 10-Oct-12 15:25:29

Shepherds pie good idea.

FireOverBabylon Wed 10-Oct-12 15:28:55

Not to raise how good an idea Shepherd's pie is again wink but you can make it the day before or later this week and freeze it and just bung it in the oven on the day so you can spend more time with your guests depending on whether you want to mingle

catinwitchyboots Wed 10-Oct-12 15:30:47

SHEPHERD'S PIE!

Allalonenow Wed 10-Oct-12 15:32:45

Roast chicken with all the trimmings, make the gravy with corn flour so stepmum can have some. Pudding could be baked pears with cold custard sauce again fine for stepmum and traditional for gran, and prepared beforehand so easy for you.

ExasperatedSigh Wed 10-Oct-12 16:25:53

Ooh thanks everyone smile Good point about being able to make shepherd's pie in advance - that would suit me as we're away Friday and Saturday, so I could do it tomorrow.

Also liking the baked fruit idea. I definitely want to do some sort of dessert as it's for birthdays, but my dad hates chocolate cake the freak and shouldn't have cakey stuff anyway. Fruit is a healthy alternative, one that I can then spoil with lashings of custard grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now