Talk

Advanced search

V. quick batch cooking question...

(9 Posts)
ChrissasMissis Wed 10-Oct-12 08:55:14

I've been reading a lot about batch cooking being a bit of a life-saver during the week and am pretty keen to streamline my weekday evenings! Can I ask people what they use to freeze these meals in? Please don't say "the freezer"...

MeFour Wed 10-Oct-12 08:57:39

I use a mixture of stuff
Milk bottles (plastic)
Tupperware or similar
Metal trays, takeaway style
Pour and store bags
Normal freezer bags

Hth

Housewifefromheaven Wed 10-Oct-12 08:57:58

I use freezer bags for wet food such as curry, chilli, spag Bol etc as it doesn't take up much space.

For structured food such as pies I use tin foil tray things with lids.

overthemill Wed 10-Oct-12 08:58:11

i use a variety of things depending on size of food:
old plastic takeaway containers
plastic soup pots (like form tesco finest...)
freezer bags (stand these in a suitable size jug to fill then use tie)
lakeland sell loads of good stuff as does waitrose/john lewis but you probably have stuff at home you can use too without spending loads

LABEL EVERYTHING!!!

ZenNudist Wed 10-Oct-12 09:00:35

I use either Tupperware with enough for dh and I, or single portion in little tubs that were used for Chinese takeaway. I also have ice cube trays from sainsburies which makes large icecubes. That's quite good for my ds or just to be able to take out as much or as little as I need. Wait til frozen, pop out and store in zip lock bag with contents/ date written on.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 10-Oct-12 09:21:18

I have a lot of small plastic containers which I think are called 'Tub-Its'. They store single-size portions, go in the microwave and d/washer OK and have been rotating through my freezer for years.

cashmere Wed 10-Oct-12 11:58:30

Plastic takeaway style containers from Costco.

For lasagne type things think people line the dish with foil, freeze and remove the dish. When ready to cook take foil off and put back in dish.

Asda are also good for foil containers.

ChrissasMissis Wed 10-Oct-12 19:43:38

Thanks everyone! I wondered if I should be investing in vast swathes of Tupperware - my nano-freezer would probably fit about 1 1/2 portions of lasgana...glad to hear that I can utilize things that I might normally throw out recycle!!

overthemill Thu 11-Oct-12 08:22:17

one last tip, make a list of what you have cooked and frozen and keep it updated, eg cross off what you have taken out, so you always know what is in there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now