Talk

Advanced search

Smoked salmon safe for children to eat?

(7 Posts)
Ilovecake1 Mon 08-Oct-12 21:48:01

Hi, I do hope that someone knows a bit more.... My little one has autism and chronic disease and is a very fussy eater.

She has recently started to eat smoked salmon with us, 2 portions on a weekly basis. I am thrilled as although on several vitamin supplements it's topping up her omega 3! Ok..now the bit I'm worried about..is it safe for her to eat it on a regular basis as it has been smoked? Is there a version that looks nearly identical that isn't smoked? Also I have read that due the salt levels are very high...should I be concerned about this?

mrsvilliers Tue 09-Oct-12 09:12:58

How old is she? I thought not for under ones but after that OK. As far as salt goes if she's not having anything else particularly salty I wouldn't worry if it's only two portions a week?

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Tue 09-Oct-12 09:13:01

I loved smoked salmon as a child and probably would have eaten it every day if I could! It is salty though so watch her overall salt intake.

mrsvilliers Tue 09-Oct-12 09:17:25

Just had a quick Google, general consensus seems to be after the age of two, concerns are to do with h fact it is essentially raw, preservatives used in smoking (not nice apparently) and the sodium apparently. Organic is probably the way to go.

iseenodust Tue 09-Oct-12 09:32:43

I would go organic or at least properly wild on this one as a lot of cheaper supermarket smoked salmon is farmed salmon, fed antibiotics etc.

Ilovecake1 Tue 09-Oct-12 22:10:32

Hi, thank you lovely ladies for you replys. She is 7 yrs old, I have been buying the tesco finest Scottish salmon...as its on offer!! smile I will have a look for an organic one.

ppeatfruit Wed 10-Oct-12 09:36:49

If she likes salmon you could buy some fresh and cut into very thin strips (you need a good sharp knife for this) and "marinade' it in lemon or lime juice which 'cooks' it gently (it takes no time you can see it happening) and you can add a bit of salt,dill, olive oil or the flavourings you and she fancy(she could do it actually)!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now