Talk

Advanced search

Having new kitchen installed - what can we make with only kettle, toaster and microwave?

(15 Posts)
toomuchtodothisweek Mon 08-Oct-12 12:19:03

Beans on toast
tinned soup and something
What else?

TIA

lilolilmanchester Mon 08-Oct-12 12:29:30

will you still have access to a freezer? If so, you could make up a few meals which could be frozen then defrosted and heated in microwave.

Do you have/could you borrow a camping stove so you could do omelettes etc?

Baked potatoes; eggs can be poached in water in microwave; bacon can be microwaved....

lilolilmanchester Mon 08-Oct-12 12:30:34

check out microwave recipes on the net or in the book that came with your microwave if you've still got it - I went through a phase of trying out recipes and amazing what you can do

insanityscratching Mon 08-Oct-12 13:40:45

We've been in the same boat but found the slow cooker invaluable so had soups,stew, chilli's,ot roast etc and didn't feel at all restricted. Worth spending a tenner here I'd say if you don't have one, it's about the same price as a takeaway for two.

sashh Tue 09-Oct-12 06:29:29

Get a slow cooker. You need one.

OK with what you have

Noodles
Baked potatoes
toasties - get the reusable bags
Stuffed peppers are better in a microwave than an oven.
Stuffed aubergines
spaghetti and meatballs in tomato sauce - boile the kettle and pour over the spaghetti - leave to cook. Make meatballs, arange around a round dish, pour over passatta / to sauce and microwave.

sandyballs Tue 09-Oct-12 07:51:47

We were without a kitchen for about three months and borrowed a little baby belling. It had a tiny oven and two rings on top, could cook almost anything.

RikersBeard Tue 09-Oct-12 07:56:10

You can steam any veggies or fish

Allalonenow Tue 09-Oct-12 08:11:11

Fish cooks well in a microwave, cous cous just needs hot water, toasted sandwiches there is a thread on here with lots of ideas for fillings, porridge is easy in a microwave so that's breakfast sorted!

doradoo Tue 09-Oct-12 08:16:51

Do you have/can you borrow a gas barbie or a George Foreman type grill - could do loads with those...

Otherwise I'd try to plan ahead and reheat stuff from the freezer. If you google 'microwave recipes' there are loads - for all different types of meals.

How long are you kitchenless?

We've done it twice for a 6week period - gets very repetitive but even with kids is doable. Oh and don't forget the odd take away!

Allalonenow Tue 09-Oct-12 08:21:46

Microwave rice such as Tilda works well too, I like the combination of rice with fish, such as tomato rice with sea bass fillet.

EssieW Tue 09-Oct-12 08:21:48

Second camping stove or slow cooker idea. We used a two ring camping stove for several weeks over the summer. Was easy to cook normal meals - stir fries, pasta and sauce. Still needed things that were quick to cook as is hassle to run out of fuel.

nannyl Tue 09-Oct-12 09:06:29

can you borrow a george forman too

then easy to have meat
micro waved jacket potatoe
and microwave veg

Japple Tue 09-Oct-12 09:08:20

...We went through the same thing a few months ago.Had to buy an electric
Grill at Walmart.I love that thing.Degreases the grilled foods,and can be used as a warmer.Jill.

milk Tue 09-Oct-12 20:21:49

Microwave= steam salmon smile

champagnesupernova Wed 17-Oct-12 13:54:52

ooh. I am doing this, some good ideas. Anyone else?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now