Talk

Advanced search

Blackberries

(8 Posts)
ProudNeathGirl Sun 07-Oct-12 18:24:37

I am just back from blackberry picking and can honestly say that I have never seen so many huge, ripe, lovely blackberries so easy to pick.
We got a couple of pounds in about 20 mins. They were practically falling out of the hedge into my tub.
What's it like where you are?

MrsJohnDeere Sun 07-Oct-12 19:14:05

Very jealous.

They've been really disappointing round here this year. Normally eat lots, make jam, and freeze enough to see us into Christmas and beyond. This year there haven't even been enough for one meal.

MarianForrester Sun 07-Oct-12 19:18:25

Rubbish here sad Been sun to ripen them; small and green.

ProudNeathGirl Sun 07-Oct-12 20:23:27

We're in North Wilts. Honestly there are so many, we had a bit of a picking frenzy! Got loads for the freezer.

hermioneweasley Sun 07-Oct-12 20:24:46

I usually get a couple of handfuls, but not like you described. I have been making cakes with mine.

ElectricSoftParade Sun 07-Oct-12 20:26:13

I'm in East Sussex and it has been a bumper crop this year! Have picked so many I have filled two drawers in the freezer.

I will be making jam and blackberry vodka. Lovely.

IdaBlankenship Sun 07-Oct-12 20:26:34

I have put mine in the freezer, but I did use some to make a HF-W blackberry upside down cake which was delish:
www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/sep/18/blackberry-recipes-hugh-fearnley-whittingstall

Loads here they look big and juicy but are totally tasteless. sad east manchester.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now