Talk

Advanced search

Vegans- What's your favourite home cooked comfort food evening meal?

(15 Posts)
poppyboo Sun 07-Oct-12 08:26:52

I would love some ideas or links to favourite vegan meals. Thank you!

VeganBody Sun 07-Oct-12 08:45:40

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

AfishhCalledElvira Sun 07-Oct-12 08:52:13

Mmm definitely lentil curry and rice (preferably brown). I make my dal with onions, garlic and garam masala to cook into a paste and then add the rinsed, boiled lentils and cook together for another 20 mins or so. Winter warmer food!

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sun 07-Oct-12 08:56:40

My FIL made an ace Shepherds pie last night.

Just substitute any non vegan ingredients.

And apple crumble. Mmm. Nothing better on a cold night and then for breakfast the next morning

Besom Sun 07-Oct-12 08:58:56

I was also going to say lentil dal and rice. I saw someone Indian on the telly once saying this was Indian comfort food. I do it cumin, garlic, chilly, onions, squeeze of lemon at the last minute, because I keep forgetting to buy garam masala. I could eat it every day.

Yes to dahl - I put creamed coconut in mine and it makes it lovely and rich tasting.

Baked paella with asparagus and artichokes.

Baked sweet potatoes with a salsa made from finely chopped red pepper, red onion, under-ripe baby tomatoes, red chilli, mango, lime juice and coriander.

Roasted root vege.

VeganBody Tue 09-Oct-12 07:20:37

Poppyboo - I made a good comfort food 'shepherds' pie today, with your post in mind! www.veganbody.net

multipoodles Tue 09-Oct-12 08:15:23

Too numerous to mention, I do a range of stir fries, curries, soups, casseroles etc during the week. I leave the unusual new recipes for the weekend. I make a lovely shepards pie using lentils, also a chilli and bolognese but if I am in a hurry I will stir fry an onion, pepper, mushrooms and green beans then decide whether to add Indian spices and serve on rice, chinese spices & soy sauce and serve on noodles, passata, herbs and serve with pasta.

I can throw a meal together from nothing in about 15 minutes, Jamie eat your heart out Vegans have been doing 15 minute meals forever LOL smile

multipoodles Tue 09-Oct-12 08:52:58

Poppyboo, if you actually prefer links these are my favourites..

vegweb.com
blog.fatfreevegan.com/
www.manjulaskitchen.com/category/vegan/

There are so many recipe sites, blogs, facebook pages about with lots of vegan recipes it all depends very much on what food you like. smile

poppyboo Tue 09-Oct-12 17:44:22

Thank you multipoodles, I need links as I'm not that confident without a recipe, saying that I made a lovely vegan chilli over the weekend which was nice and hot! I served it over jacket potatoes.

I'm love the idea of simple and quick and ingredients I can recognise! I love lentils and beans etc

You wouldn't know of a link to a simple curry recipe? I need step by step and I like tomatoe based and I'm not a fan of coconut! I love Aloo Chana Balti and would love to know how to make it. The combination of chick peas and potatoes are delicious!

ppeatfruit Wed 10-Oct-12 09:52:41

Step by step simple curry recipe -;

1.Take a large heavy saucepan

2 Gently dry fry for a short time or till you smell them whatever spices you like i use cumin,coriander, garam masala,turmeric salt chilli etc.

3. Add olive oil and mix to make a paste.

$. Add small chopped onions and garlic and a tin of tomatoes or fresh if liked and red lentils if you want

6. Put top on and turn heat right down or put on a diffuser. While you chop small the veggies you want to put in. Add stock or water if it needs it.

7. Put veg. in then replace tight top and leave on low till cooked.

Chandon Wed 10-Oct-12 09:55:39

gado gado

stir fried veg, sir fried tofu, topped with satay sauce

ppeatfruit Wed 10-Oct-12 10:05:02

OOH Chandon I love gado gado and its easy to make your own pnut sauce. (I always find the ready made ones have coconut or vinegar in them and I hate them).

Chandon Wed 10-Oct-12 10:07:30

yes, make your own!

I think lots of Thai, and generally Asian food is vegan friendly

ppeatfruit Wed 10-Oct-12 12:00:14

That's true,I just remembered that you can buy lovely vegan rice crackers from the H.F. shops. Gado gado tends to served with crackers doesn't it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now