Talk

Advanced search

Can I use a victoria sponge recipe for cup cakes?

(7 Posts)
Mopandbucket Sun 07-Oct-12 06:35:01

I have a great fairy free recipe but not sure if it will work if I halve quantities and use for cupcakes?

Mopandbucket Sun 07-Oct-12 06:35:27

Sorry dairy free (not fairy lol)

lindsell Sun 07-Oct-12 06:48:18

Jamie Oliver's receipe for fairy cakes recommends using the victoria sponge recipe smile so it'll be fine, you just need to remember to reduce the cooking time too - iirc the ones I do take about 15mins but I always check after 10mins.

Woozley Sun 07-Oct-12 06:49:39

If it's equal amounts of flour, softened butter & sugar, 1 egg per 75g of flour, no milk, then yes it should work. The difference for me would be the method.

I make cupcakes by throwing everything in and whisking for a couple of minutes with an electric whisk.

For v sponge I would whisk up the butter until it's white & fluffy, then mix in the sugar. Then beat the eggs well & add very gradually to the mixture while whisking. Then lightly fold in the flour.

Also don't have your oven too hot or they will sink in the middle & cook unevenly, & don't peek into the oven! 160C with my fan oven seems to work best.

charitygirl Sun 07-Oct-12 06:50:29

Should do - just use a bit more raising agent. So even if flour is self raising, add a tsp of baking powder. And I wouldn't necessarily halve quantities unless you're using fairy cake tin, not cup cakes.

charitygirl Sun 07-Oct-12 06:51:17

Yes - and do reduce cooking time.

Mopandbucket Sun 07-Oct-12 07:27:03

Thanks guys x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now