Talk

Advanced search

mini/portable/countertop ovens?

(14 Posts)

Does anyone have one of these? Are they any good for baking cakes?

Our oven is broke and the LL isnt going to fix it. It cooks dinners fine. But its not suitable for baking as the temp isnt accurate.

This is an unthinkable thought for me grin so I was thinking of getting a mini oven to do my baking in?

Are they ok? Any recommendations?

Hopeforever Sat 06-Oct-12 11:44:42

Interested in this thread as I'm trying to buy one for my Dad, seen this

www.lakeland.co.uk/15913/Dualit-Table-Top-Oven

It gets good reviews, but only from the 5 who have written

I saw that one but thought it looked smallish.

The one Im looking at is

here

Hopeforever Sat 06-Oct-12 11:54:30

Is your broken cooker free standing or built in?

If its built in and the LL won't fix it you can ask them to change the kitchen so you can put your own cooker in. You can often get them on Freecycle

Its built in. If he wont fix an oven I doubt he will change the kitchen grin

Hopeforever Sat 06-Oct-12 12:03:27

Tell him you are then grin

What does your rental agreement state

Dont have one confused

Hes not a for business LL. He hasnt a clue. The previous tenants have fucked him over big time.

We were thinking of buying a new built in oven. But then we couldnt take it with us when we move.

TirednessKills Sat 06-Oct-12 15:04:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hopeforever Sat 06-Oct-12 15:32:58

If you have no tenancy agreement I'd be tempted to get a quote to have it fixed or replaced then write informing him that you will be reducing your rent accordingly.

I know withholding rent is not a great idea, but that's when you have a contract

Think we will have to look into a second hand one then. Dont really want the hassle of withholding rent and chasing him to fix it. Our last LL were horrible people and we like how this one just leaves us alone.

I just know the christmas cake will get burnt in the one we have now. That wont do grin

fossil97 Sat 06-Oct-12 20:00:36

I know what it is like trying not to make a fuss for a quiet life.

however electric built in ovens I think are attached with four screws and a plug/small bit of wiring.

If you get an inexpensive new one you should be able to sell it on when you move especially if you keep it clean/keep the box etc. I would think £200 might get you one if you haunt the nearly new/reconditioned/slight seconds outlets or ebay, you could pay that much for a decent combi microwave.

EdwardtheEagle Sun 07-Oct-12 19:52:18

I have a little toaster oven and it's fab for cakes - heats up really quickly so I use it all the time as it's cheaper to run than the oven.

wafflingworrier Sun 07-Oct-12 20:01:44

don't get this one, a cookworks this, we have it currently as a "temporary" measure (3 months so far because we can't decide on afford a new kitchen+previous owner took her oven with her)
it is just rubbish and also overpriced. got ours from argos

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4234841/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CKitchen+and+laundry%7C14418476/c_2/2%7C14418476%7CSmall+kitchen+appliances%7C14418587/c_3/3%7Ccat_14418587%7CSlow+cookers+and+ovens%7C14418592.htm

wafflingworrier Sun 07-Oct-12 20:04:32

"a cookworks this"?! so sorry. i meant the brand of it is a "Cookworks" brand.
my mum has a babybelling equivalent to mine though, and uses it all the time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now