Talk

Advanced search

Easy one pot meals for me and a toddler?

(7 Posts)
TheOnlyPersonInTheRoom Sat 06-Oct-12 10:51:29

Help please! DH is away atm and I really struggle with what to cook for me and DD (12mo) during the week.

I work full time so I have an hour when I get in to prep it and get it on the table but I'd really rather be playing with her than chopping veg.

If it can be prepped the night before and put in a slow cooker for 9 hours alls the better.

Neither me nor she are fussy so anything goes, and can get ingredients from Tesco tomorrow.

Thanking you!

Rockchick1984 Sat 06-Oct-12 11:55:16

Oooh, if going to Tesco, they do a fantastic frozen fish pie mix! Recipe is on the back of the packet, but basically the only thing that takes more than 5 mins of actually doing anything (as opposed to shoving in the oven) is peeling and mashing the potatoes for the mash topping. I also tend to make a huge batch of bolognese some weekends with loads of veg either chopped in or blended and added, and that can be used during the week for spag bol, chilli (add some beans) or with tacos (add some cumin and paprika, then top with grated cheese).

I have a potato ricer and it's changed my life <<dramatic emoticon>> I literally cut each potato in half, don't peel or anything. Boil for 15 mins then shove through the ricer and stir in some butter! Makes it so much quicker to do things like fish pie, cottage pie, corned beef hash, sausage and mash.

poppy283 Sat 06-Oct-12 11:59:58

Rice dishes are easy but you do need to keep an eye on them.

Risotto, pilaf, egg fried rice.

SnapesOnAPlane Sat 06-Oct-12 12:03:39

Cous cous dishes are the way to go!
Pour veg/chicken stock and boiling water over cous cous, pop lid on, leave for 5-10 mins.
Chop salad, cucumber, tomato, spring onions/normal onions, add pre-cooked chicken (ours is usually left over chicken, but we use the pre-cooked stuff too!). Mix in with cous cous, serve and dress!
One pot wonder, and delicious.

mrsvilliers Sat 06-Oct-12 20:24:24

I've got some easy prep recipes online at www.toddler-recipes.co.uk, they are listed by prep time so you have an idea of what to expect.

TheOnlyPersonInTheRoom Sat 06-Oct-12 20:51:15

Fantastic, thanks all!

Drladybird Mon 08-Oct-12 09:07:02

My one pot wonder: Bean and Vegetable Stew with Dumplings
Soups are quick and easy (and can be prepared beforehand)
Indian Lentils to serve with rice
Tomato based pasta sauce

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now