Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got a recipe for crispy chicken fajitas?

(7 Posts)
JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 05-Oct-12 16:54:52

DC really like the Old El Paso Oven Crispy Chicken Fajitas but think it might be cheaper to make my own?

Does anyone know what to use?

flatpackhamster Fri 05-Oct-12 17:10:35

What are you hoping to do? Do you want to replicate the crispy element of the chicken, or is it simply the fajita element? The crispy chicken thing should be fairly easy, you'll need a bowl with a beaten egg in it and a bowl with spiced breadcrumbs, take the chicken strips and dunk them in the egg, then in the breadcrumb bowl.

I'm happy to fish out my recipe for fajitas but it's a frying recipe (in a wok) rather than an oven bake one so it might not fit your requirements.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 06-Oct-12 15:19:58

Really I wanted to replicate the spicy crispy chicken. What sort of spices do you think i should add to the breadcrumbs?

flatpackhamster Sun 07-Oct-12 16:25:17

Not having eaten the product, I don't know for sure. But I would consider either hot or mild paprika, ground cumin and ground coriander. Ground cayenne pepper would (IMO) make them too hot. For 2 chicken breasts, I'd go for a teaspoon of each of the three, mixed in to the breadcrumbs.

HuevosRancheros Sun 07-Oct-12 19:19:48

Agree with flatpack, but would also add smoked paprika, a mild one, as this adds a nice smoky flavour

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 07-Oct-12 19:36:29

Thank you very much, will give them a try this week!

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 22-Oct-12 21:15:11

Added the spice to the breadcrumbs and DS helped by dipping the chicken in the egg and then the breadcrumbs.

Much more fun and tasty than old El Paso and the dc have asked for them again this week smile.

Thanks everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now