Talk

Advanced search

Roast chicken help please!

(7 Posts)
GloriaTechnicolour Tue 02-Oct-12 13:38:26

We have unexpected guests (a family) coming for supper tonight, DH suggested doing a roast chicken for them. I also have some chicken breast fillets in the fridge - can I use them too? Roast them/tray bake them in oven at same time? How should I do them so that they're not dried out? Will be using lemon and rosemary for the roast.

FrankWippery Tue 02-Oct-12 13:39:51

The chicken breasts will only need about 25-30 minutes, so I'd fling them in for the last half an hour, just into the roasting tin that you're using for the whole chicken.

LadySybildeChocolate Tue 02-Oct-12 13:40:46

I'd steam the fillets, it will make them juicy! It depends on how many you're cooking for and how large the chicken is. You could bulk the meals out with veg and desert.

GloriaTechnicolour Tue 02-Oct-12 13:44:13

5 adults, 4 children (one of whom is not even two yet). I think there'll be enough - mash potato, roast carrots, big salad. But would like to use the breasts too.

poachedeggs Tue 02-Oct-12 13:45:42

Why not do a curry too - then people can have a choice, and you can freeze any leftovers.

BoysBoysBoysAndMe Tue 02-Oct-12 13:46:54

I would pan fry the fillets with some of the seasoning you are going to use with the roast.

Hot pan, little bit of oil, put chicken in and turn heat down to medium, lid on. Once the tops start to turn white, turn over for 5 mins.

Fillets normally take about 15 mins this way and as I'm using a lid they're always juicy.

MoreBeta Tue 02-Oct-12 13:48:13

Wrap them in foil with lemon, oilve oil and other herbs and stick in the oven with chicken for say 40 minutes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now