We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Just bought a slow cooker, has anybody got any good recipes they would like to share.

(8 Posts)
Twinkletoes91 Sun 30-Sep-12 14:55:52

Just bought a slow cooker, has anybody got any good recipes they would like to share.

KnockKnockPenny Mon 01-Oct-12 09:06:52

I dont like stews or soups made in a slwo cooker, as the liquids dontreduce & taste greasy. I do love my slow cooker for cooking meat though. I recently made delicious ribs! After being the slow cooker all day, the meat was almost falling off the bones smile I have also made gammon (just a gammon joint, nothing else, 6 hours on low) which was beautiful and also BBQ pulled pork (pork shjoulder, BBQ sauce, all day on low).

I have also made baked potatoes in mine smile

dreamingofsun Mon 01-Oct-12 15:45:35

if you search here you will find loads. many normal recipes can be used in your slow cooker by just adding the stock cube, and not the water that goes with it. so curry, bolognese, chilli etc.

pregnantpause Mon 01-Oct-12 19:42:17

I'm currently cooking my way through Sara lewis complete slow cooker. Tonight we had tomato aubergine and lentil soup, fry aubergine, onion and two garlic cloves off add 1tsp cumin 1/2 tsp hot paprika and shove in slow cooker. Add a tin of toms, 750ml stock, 125g red lentils s&p leave for 6 hours, and either serve chunky or use a stick blender to puree. It's made the house smell divine and its really tasty warming autumnal food. Yum.

I also make a Spanish stew with sliced pork, chorizo, a tin of toms, paprika, s&p and 100ml beef stock, leave for 8-10 hours, this is heaven.

melliebobs Mon 01-Oct-12 19:44:38

Pork shoulder, smother in BBQ sauce, can of coke in the bottom. Cook on low for 10 hours. Mmmmmmmmmsmile

Lovemy3kids Mon 01-Oct-12 19:45:48

I do all my joints in mine...chicken, lamb, beef....they are so tender and always just fall apart smile

I also put a ham joint in with a can of cola....me and the DC loved it. I do bolognese in it, sausage casserole, chicken and beef casseroles...not really cooked much else in it but will be watching this thread for ideas!

Happy cooking smile

pregnantpause Mon 01-Oct-12 19:46:21

Another great recipe I recently tried was stuffed lamb breast- take a rolled lamb breast, unroll and fill with chopped apricots, fried onion and garlic with a tbsp of harisa. Re roll the lamb, and slow cook for 6-8 hours, serve with roast veg cous cous. Delicious

Japple Mon 08-Oct-12 00:29:05

Barbeque Beef & Pork sandwiches- In the Cooker place these items: 1and 1/2
pounds of stew beef,1 and 1/2 pounds of Pork cubes (same size as the beef).2
cups of medium chopped onions,1/2 cup of Green Pepper,chopped small.Tomato
paste,6-oz.can,1/2 cup of packed brown sugar,1/4 cup of Cider Vinegar,1/4 cup
of Chili Powder,1 teasp.Dry Mustard,2 teasp.Worchestershire,2 teasp.Salt.
Cover-Cook on High about 8 or less hours.Shred the meat with a fork.Take
6 inch long Hardrolls,scoop out 1 side of bread-Fill with Beef Mixture,sprinkle
Chopped Tomato on top.Line the other side with Boston Lettuce.Place the halves
together to form Barbeque Subs.Jill

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now