Advanced search

fool proof pizza base

(13 Posts)
booksinbed Thu 27-Sep-12 22:40:38

anyone have the above for hand and/or bread maker recipies please - mine have com eout too crisp and dry despire following recipie o the letter - thanks !!!

luisgarcia Fri 28-Sep-12 00:25:12

please can you post the recipe you used?

flatpackhamster Fri 28-Sep-12 08:31:04

I can point you in the direction of the Women's Institute Book of Bread, which is foolproof. I haven't had a single bad recipe out of it. I use their pizza dough recipe every couple of weeks.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 28-Sep-12 08:33:26

Here's mine

8oz strong or extra strong bread flour
1 sachet Hovis easy blend dried yeast
slug of olive oil
1 egg
enough water to mix to a soft dough

Either knead the above by hand, in a processor with a dough hook or in a bread machine until it is stretchy, smooth and not sticky. Roll/stretch out to fit about a 12" pizza plate then brush with olive oil before thinly adding your tomato base and toppings. Finish off with a little more oil sprinkled over the top.

Set the finished pizza to one side in a warm kitchen for about 30 minutes as this gives the yeast chance to activate Heat the oven to 200C and cook on a high shelf for about 15 minutes.

TirednessKills Fri 28-Sep-12 12:11:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HollyMadison Fri 28-Sep-12 12:36:10

How much yeast is in a sachet of yeast? a teaspoon? i have been using a similar recipe but I can't get it to work and the base is never cooked properly but top is well done. I live in Asia and can find yeast but not in sachets.

blackteaplease Fri 28-Sep-12 12:39:22

I always.cook my base in the oven first then top it and put it back in to ensure its cooked through.

I use 250g bread flour, 4g yeast, a glug of olive oil and 125g water for one pizza

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 28-Sep-12 12:40:01

There's 7g per packet and it's the fast acting stuff that doesn't need activating first in water. If your base isn't cooked properly consider investing in a pizza dish with holes in the bottom. And try putting less topping on. If pizzas are top-heavy they tend to be soggy.

Ploom Fri 28-Sep-12 12:41:05

a packet of yeast = 7g.

we've just had pizza for lunch - 300g of strong bread flour, 7g yeast, 1 1/2 tsp of salt, 175ml warm water, 3 tbsp olive oil.

Knead for 10 mins then roll out to thin dough and add toppings.

In the oven for 10 -15 mins at 240.

dc wolfed them down.

Ploom Fri 28-Sep-12 12:42:04

oh meant to add, I cut the dough into 3 and roll out fairly thin.

Silibilimili Fri 28-Sep-12 12:47:55

There are some variations to pizza base recipes on the bbc good food website. I have tried a number of them and the pizza has always worked out fab. Is your oven on the right temperature?

HollyMadison Fri 28-Sep-12 13:06:23

Thanks for the tips. I'm a terrible cook! I have my oven on 200. It's not much of an oven as they go for fast wok type cooking here. The oven doesn't have shelves as such and the highest I can put things is in the centre. I think a dish with holes and also cooking it before I top it might work, or at least be an improvement!

NoillyPrat Fri 28-Sep-12 14:45:00

I always use this base and it's really yummy, never let me down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now