Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can I make stir fry sauce from store cupboard type ingredients?

(7 Posts)
wanttomakeadifference Wed 26-Sep-12 18:38:39

I've got the usual- soy, honey, sweet chilli sauce, balsamic etc...

Can anyone recommend a stir fry type sauce I could make with this please.

Have the ingredients for a chicken, loads of veg, mushrooms ANC noodle stir fry, but no sauce.

doradoo Wed 26-Sep-12 18:40:15

You can do a soy/honey marinade - add some 5spice powder if you have some, or some ginger perhaps.

Also a bit of sherry/white wine in it too.

I'd marinade the chicken for a bit thenuse the marinade to make the sauce and thicken with cornflour.

Sunnywithachanceofshowers Wed 26-Sep-12 18:41:36

If you've got soy, garlic and ginger (fresh or powdered), that'd make a good sauce.

Ruffello Wed 26-Sep-12 19:22:21

Your stir fry will probably be much better without a gloopy shop bought sauce!

nipitinthebud Thu 27-Sep-12 16:01:03

You've got all the ingredients for a common or garden stir fry sauce anyway.

Dust chicken in cornflour (and 5 spice powder if you have that)

Fry it all off, with your veg, then put in the soy sauce (I glug it in until everything's coated, then few extra glugs), and a good splash of sherry/rice wine, wee bit of water if it needs it. And after its all done....seseame seed oil drizzled over (know you didn't say you had that...its optional, but that's what really makes it smell yummy).

mumzy Fri 28-Sep-12 07:38:45

Mix together a tablespoon of soya sauce, 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce, 1 teaspoon of sugar, 1 teaspoon of sesame oil, 3 tablespoons of water and 2 teaspoons of corn flour into a smooth paste.
Fry a chopped clove of garlic and a teaspoon of chopprd ginger in hot oil until pale brown. Add the paste to the garlic and ginger and cook and stir gently until you have a smooth sauce. Adjust the flavourings until it tastes right for you. add a teaspoon of Tabasco if you like it with a kick. Pour over stir fry veggies and stir until everything is coated in the sauce.

mumzy Fri 28-Sep-12 07:39:58

Oh forgot to say add a couple of teaspoons of rice wine, sherry or brandy to initial paste.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now