Talk

Advanced search

Hummingbird Cupcakes - which size cases and tins?

(9 Posts)
Brickle Wed 26-Sep-12 14:14:21

I'm going to make some cupcakes from the Hummingbird recipe book, but I'm unsure of which size papercases and tins to use. I've got ordinary sized cases and muffin cases and again ordinary and muffin sized tins (12 hole ones) which would be the best to use, please?

lucamom Wed 26-Sep-12 14:35:06

Muffin cases + muffin tin= cupcakes (American style large ones)
Cake cases + patty/bun tin= fairy cakes (small & dainty & very English!)

Brickle Wed 26-Sep-12 15:36:07

Thanks luca I think I'll go for the big ones smile

sharkchaser Fri 28-Sep-12 14:22:02

Also with the hummingbird cakes (ive had a few 'disasters' - still edible and scrummy tho!) make them the old fashioned way, ie. cream butter & sugar, add eggs, then flour & baking powder then milk & vanilla. Not sure how they get their method to work but I've had a few friends say they have disasters too with HB method!

sparkle12mar08 Mon 01-Oct-12 14:27:48

As an experienced home baker I don't rate the Hummingbird recipes at all. They're simply scaled down commercial recipes and that just doesn't work in a domestic kitchen. In the intro he says that american muffin cases are actually bigger than UK ones so that you'll probably get more cakes out of the mix when you use muffin cases over here.

Brickle Wed 03-Oct-12 13:21:17

Oh, Sparkle which recipe do you think I should try for cupcakes, then? TIA

sparkle12mar08 Wed 03-Oct-12 18:05:22

Well, I love anything by Nigella, and Mary Berry is always reliable.

CherryRedBoots Wed 03-Oct-12 18:13:10

Have made the hummingbird cupcakes many, many times to huge acclaim.

You need 12 muffin cases in a muffin tin. Suggest you get waxed paper cases so that cakes come away easily frim the wrappers. Don't use lurpak spreadable or anything in a tub - you need proper butter. When you make the frosting, use slightly less milk than recipe suggests and whisk, whisk and whisk some more. Frosting gets much fluffier the more you whisk. When you ice them, get some plastic disposable icing bags and order yourself a 1M nozzle on ebay for that thick, grooved, swirled frosting american cupcake look.

They are delicious cupcakes, definitely worth making.

lucamom Wed 03-Oct-12 23:35:03

Or just use:

3 med eggs
6 oz s/r flour, butter/stork (trust me-stork works), caster sugar
1-2 tsp vanilla

Cream butter & sugar, gradually add eggs & vanilla, fold in flour (& 1-2tbsp cocoa for choc).

Bake at gas 4 approx 20 mibs. Perfectly fills 12 cases.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now