Talk

Advanced search

kidney beans - long and slow or warm through?

(9 Posts)
therewearethen Wed 26-Sep-12 14:08:33

Making a chilli, got it in the slow cooker, should I put the kidney beans in now so they'll be in for a few hours or shove in for the last half hour to just warm through? I find they are hard sometimes.

Oh and I'm using the tinned one's in water/brine and say just heat up

multipoodles Wed 26-Sep-12 14:30:36

I usually just put them in at the beginning, if they break down a little it helps to thicken the chili smile I should say that I am also a lazy cook and would likely forget to add them later!

GOLDdebka Wed 26-Sep-12 14:33:58

I hate hard beans, I'd put them in sooner rather than later.

UnChartered Wed 26-Sep-12 14:35:11

rinse them off and put them in now, they really benefit from the extra cooking, makes the chilli really thick and the beans take on the flavours too

mmmmmm

multipoodles Wed 26-Sep-12 14:36:13

Oh and I find the best kidney beans are Tesco value ones, I find most others are harder!

giraffe213 Wed 26-Sep-12 14:42:59

If they're tinned they'll be safe either way - some slow cooker recipes say put beans in towards the end (I guess so they don't break up), so it's obviously fine. Just depends how mushy you want them. It's only when you're using dried beans that you have to be careful, and I seem to recall you have to fast-boil them first before adding them to the slow coker.

somebloke123 Wed 26-Sep-12 14:57:27

giraffe

Yes I have that recollection too. I think the fast boiling is to remove some sort of toxin from the beans, which is present in dry or uncooked beans but has already been removed from tinned beans, which are cooked.

therewearethen Wed 26-Sep-12 16:40:05

I put them in about half 2, so will update after I've eaten later! Thanks guys

vodkaanddietirnbru Wed 26-Sep-12 17:02:40

I second tesco value kidney beans for being nice and soft rather than hard and crunchy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now