Talk

Advanced search

Quick casserole help - quick please!!

(18 Posts)
reastie Mon 24-Sep-12 11:51:28

Help on this on as soon as poss would be great as I need to get it in the oven in the next hour or so!

Am going to try a casserole for dinner tonight. Usually I'd do it on the hob over about an hour (a veggie one - we are veggie). Today I thought I'd do an oven baked root veg one with potato slices on top over a slow heat. I'm thinking of giving it about 4 hours on 140 - does this sound right? Also, I'm putting red lentils in - should I cook the lentils first or just stick them in the casserole dish 'raw' ?

OhThisIsJustGrape Mon 24-Sep-12 11:53:22

Timing sounds fine and I would cook the lentils first. I might even parboil the potato slices too and they can take forever to cook.

HTH smile

TheWicketKeeperIsDown Mon 24-Sep-12 11:54:36

I often stick red lentils in my slow cooked casseroles and never cook them first. They'll be fine.

reastie Mon 24-Sep-12 11:55:52

I really can't be bothered don't want to par boil potatoes - I'm having to do the dish in DDs nap, whch isn't that long - so need to be quick! I've got one of those fancy pants slicers which cuts really thin so I'll use that. I'll simmer lentils for maybe 20 mins in some stock first then.

Would you fry off the veg first too or stick it straight in the pot and in the oven?

reastie Mon 24-Sep-12 11:56:37

xposted - thewicket you don't cook lentils first? hmmm.....wonder what I should do then.

reastie Mon 24-Sep-12 12:02:10

OK, last question I hope the casserole dish I have has a lid as well - when it cooks in the oven should I have the lid on of off?

AliceHurled Mon 24-Sep-12 12:05:28

On. Then off to brown for the last 20 mins with the temp up.

AliceHurled Mon 24-Sep-12 12:07:59

And I know I'm late but I always fry off the veg first. At least the onions if nothing else. And I would prob cook the lentils a bit just in case. Or use tinned ones. Although i don't cook them first in soup so will prob be fine.

What time shall I come round for tea? I'll bring some dunking bread grin

reastie Mon 24-Sep-12 12:18:41

Come on over alice . Lentils are cooking on the hob as I speak. I'm now debating whether to just cube the potatoes and put them in the casserole so I can make dumplings and put them in for the lat half hour - DH loves dumplings grin . Useful tip re: taking lid off and heat up for last 20 mins - I'll do that when I put the dumplings in I think. I'll fry the onions and leeks first but tbh probably nothing else. Think I might stick sliced quorn sausages in too grin <licks lips at thought of impending dinner>

AliceHurled Mon 24-Sep-12 12:32:20

Lentils and sausages are good combo. I did think dumplings earlier. I'd go dumplings for sure. I think they need lid on for them to steam though. Not completely sure.

reastie Mon 24-Sep-12 12:35:55

I've stuck it in the oven already and tbh the casserole dish was quite full - no room for dumplings I think in there! I'll do dumplings on the hob in some stock or some such just before dinner - I've done it that way before anyway so know what I'm doing grin . I put a few butter beans in also as I thought it'd go well with the leeks in there, fingers crossed it tastes good!

AliceHurled Mon 24-Sep-12 12:38:34

As it cooks it'll shrink down and make room for dumplings.

Now you've made me wonder what on earth I'm doing for tea with empty cupboards and rain....

AliceHurled Mon 24-Sep-12 12:49:40

Have found enough ingredients to copy you! Yum!

reastie Mon 24-Sep-12 12:51:33

grin glad to be of assistance

AliceHurled Mon 24-Sep-12 19:00:21

Just finished mine. Carrots, onions, green beans, potatoes, quorn and dumplings. Was yum!

reastie Mon 24-Sep-12 19:13:38

yum grin - I didn't get time for dumplings in the end. Mine had onions, leeks, sweet potato, carrots, parsnip, quorn sausages, lentils, and butter beans grin

AliceHurled Mon 24-Sep-12 19:18:16

When I make sausage and lentil casserole, I sometimes put a little bit of pasta in the bottom. Uncooked. It cooks all slowly and gloopy, really nice

reastie Tue 25-Sep-12 07:53:29

excellent idea alice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now