Talk

Advanced search

Meal ideas for new parents

(7 Posts)
BeingPolite Mon 24-Sep-12 08:23:12

Our neighbours have just had their first baby. I would like to bake a few meals to take over for them. However since I don't know them very well, I'm not sure of their tastes, allergies etc. I want it to be a surprise so I don't want to go and ask them. Are there any dishes that I can't go wrong with? Do I need to assume they are vegetarian? Thanks!

Gumby Mon 24-Sep-12 08:24:50

I'd do shepherds pie
Veggie lasagne
Fish pie

Should cover everything!

Lovely idea smile

OneOfMyTurnsComingOn Mon 24-Sep-12 08:25:13

I can't speak for veggies, but I would love shepherd's pie, sausage casserole, stew (must be the weather). Cake?

Iggly Mon 24-Sep-12 08:36:19

Anything that can be easily frozen and reheated.

Lasagne, shepherds pies, casseroles, chunky soups etc etc.

Plus some nice chocolate biscuits grin or cake!

OneOfMyTurnsComingOn Mon 24-Sep-12 09:06:05

I could murder a rare steak though. That's what I'm having when this one comes!

midori1999 Mon 24-Sep-12 11:45:34

People did this for us when our DD was in NICU and its a lovely thing to do and do helpful!

We were brought lasagne and garlic bread, marks and Spencer's prepared meat, veg, potatoes and pudding all ready to just go in the oven, a cooked roast dinner all ready to be dished up, a home made pie, just out the oven with potatoes and veg and a very bizarre cottage pie which was just browned minced beef (no stock, gravy or veg!) with mashed potato on top, but it was all eaten and all very much appreciated.

I think stew or a hearty type of soup would be good too, or anything else easily reheated.

BeingPolite Mon 24-Sep-12 11:49:59

Thanks for the suggestions. They are all within my repertoire. I'll rope the kids into baking some cakes too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now