Talk

Advanced search

Should slow cookers (sorry) boil?

(9 Posts)
whimsicalname Sun 23-Sep-12 00:15:20

I had a vat of pork on the go while I was out (only on low mind) and when I came back many, many hours later, it was merrily bubbling away. I was under the impression that they were just meant to kind of fester. It was a charity shop find, so possibly dodgy, but I don't think it's boiled anything before. Is boiling meant to happen?

Ponders Sun 23-Sep-12 00:16:22

was it a boiling kind of bubble or just a simmer?

LadySybildeChocolate Sun 23-Sep-12 00:16:26

Did you put any water in it?

whimsicalname Sun 23-Sep-12 13:47:18

It had what is called a pork butt here, which is some kind of fatty porky cheapy joint, and a sauce made out of peaches, tinned toms and various other stuff. Probably the equivalent of about 2 tins of toms. And it had rendered off a good half inch of fat. Yummo.

And it was a sort of jolly simmer, not a rolling boil. I'm never sure about boiling categories, but it definitely had quite a few bubbles coming to the surface quite often.

THETrills Sun 23-Sep-12 13:48:58

They might boil a little but the lid means that the water stays in, so they don't dry out.

Peaches, tomatoes, and fatty pork sounds horrible by the way.

PigletJohn Sun 23-Sep-12 19:50:29

does it have a "high" and a "low" setting?

rubyrubyruby Sun 23-Sep-12 19:54:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

whimsicalname Sun 23-Sep-12 21:18:36

Thanks for the vote of confidence trills! It cooks down to make a barbeque type sauce. It's kind of chutney ish now it's been boiling for ages. It's going to be yum. I cooked it yesterday, then cooled it, and took the fat off the top so today we'll be left with lovely chutney type sauce and melty meat, which we'll eat with rice and sweet corn. I'm living the American dream I tell you.

MoreBeta Sun 23-Sep-12 21:25:50

Mine bubbles slightly when on the highest setting and with plenty of fluid in but once the fluid gets quite low it does look like it is bubbling a lot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now