Talk

Advanced search

Please can you recommend a slow cooker (sorry for another SC thread...)

(11 Posts)
CharlieMouseWillDoIt Thu 20-Sep-12 15:41:30

From reading a couple of threads on here, I can see that slow cookers are a little bit "marmite". However, I would like to get one as I reckon it'll prove to be invaluable, especially over the winter.

Please can you recommend a good one?

At the moment the capacity needs to be enough to feed two adults and a toddler (plus leftovers for freezing).

dreamingofsun Thu 20-Sep-12 16:52:50

i have a 3.5 litre one with low/high/auto settings. swan - dont think they make them any more as about 25 years old. i think this size would suit you. just go for something cheapish, then if you don't get on with them it doesn't matter. i don't think it makes much difference anyway

sashh Sat 22-Sep-12 12:18:12

Just see what you can get at Argos or the supermarket. I've had a few over the years and the expensive one was a waste of money.

EllieorOllie Sat 22-Sep-12 16:20:23

I have been through four over the last week! Got a Morphy Richards one, the build quality was terrible, tried two identical Crock Pot ones but both were damaged, so ended up with the basic Tesco £14.99 one, looks really good, am just trying it out for the first time but seems like it's working quite well.

deemented Sat 22-Sep-12 16:23:16

Agree that a 3.5ltr one would suit you. Asda do a good one for £8ish.

QueenStromba Sun 23-Sep-12 14:36:40

I've got the Asda one and agree that it's good.

Mydogsleepsonthebed Sun 23-Sep-12 14:40:44

I had the tesco one - it was fab until I dropped the pot bit on the floor and it smashed. I must get another one it was v useful in the winter

I have the Tesco £15 one and it's great. I can't imagine what a more expensive one could possibly do better tbh

CharlieMouseWillDoIt Mon 24-Sep-12 13:40:48

Thanks everyone. Looks like I'll be putting 3.5l slow cooker on the shopping list next time we go to Tesco!

ethelb Mon 24-Sep-12 13:41:38

I just bought a Breville one for £19 at argos. 4.5 litre and made a cracking tagine over the weekend.

pregnantpause Mon 24-Sep-12 18:30:36

I've got two slow cookers that I use, an expensive crockpot 5.7ltr which is faultless and a cheap Tesco 3.5ltr which is faultless. I also have a breville which burns everything as it runs too hot for slow cooking and a morphy. Richards which has a lid default. -- outs self as a weird slow cooker hoarder-- I'd plump for a cheap Tesco one in your situation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now