Talk

Advanced search

Cauliflower pakora/tempura- anyone attempted?

(8 Posts)
crikeybadger Thu 20-Sep-12 15:02:33

I quite fancy trying to make cauliflower tempura but am slightly nervous about the whole deep frying thing. Can anyone reassure that I won't set the kitchen on fire please?

Also, I'm looking at the recipe for these in HFW's Veg today book, but it says you only need 1cm of oil- surely that's not enough?

TIA

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 20-Sep-12 16:14:11

You need more than 1cm because the cauliflower chunks need to be able to bob about a bit. If you've got a fairly solid wok pour in about 3cm oil and heat it until a cube of bread sizzles, floats to the top and browns in fairly quick succession. At that point, add your cauliflower tempura a few at a time. Gently move them about and turn over with a mesh scoop. The only time it gets dangerous is if the oil gets so hot that it starts smoking or if you splash any over the sides. Oil with a high flashpoint like groundnut is better than olive oil for deep frying.

crikeybadger Thu 20-Sep-12 16:16:20

Thanks for that Cogito- I thought 1cm sounded a bit shallow.

Shall give them a go at the weekend. smile

NettoSuperstar Thu 20-Sep-12 16:55:52

I made cauliflower pakora on Sunday, using this recipe, but subbing cauli for the mushrooms. I have made it with mushrooms too though.
I use a deep fat frier.

whimsicalname Fri 21-Sep-12 00:40:16

I've done the HFW one a few times. They're so yummy. Particularly with the tamarind sauce. And I didn't set fire to the kitchen.

crikeybadger Fri 21-Sep-12 12:16:31

Thanks all for the feedback, I do love that Veg Today book- haven't had a dud recipe yet. I thought deep frying the cauli might be a good way to entice the DCs to eat some try it. smile

NettoSuperstar Fri 21-Sep-12 17:06:52

You really can't go wrong with deep fried foodgrin

crikeybadger Sat 22-Sep-12 18:16:22

OK, so just tried it - all fine, didn't set anything on fire, thank goodness.

In fact the end result was a bit of an anti climax- I think they needed more spices. Will try tempura next. smile

Final question- what on earth do I do with the used oil now?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now