Talk

Advanced search

Courgettes. What to do with them

(19 Posts)
itsgoneabitchilly Thu 20-Sep-12 13:53:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MamaMary Thu 20-Sep-12 13:56:54

I love chopped courgettes fried in butter, pepper and garlic. Mmmnnn.

If they are really big and have become marrows, you can make marrow and ginger soup. My mum makes that and it's nice. No recipe to link to, sorry.

I also believe it can be used in cakes - you'll just have to google!

EdwardorEricCantDecide Thu 20-Sep-12 13:58:53

i do a nice cheesy turkey meatloaf that has courgettes in and everyone loves it even ds who is the fussiest child i've ever come across. smile

mamababa Thu 20-Sep-12 14:00:02

Courgette and cheesy garlic soup.

Fry onion gently in butter and olive oil to sweat them, no colour. add in chopped courgettes and enough hot veg stock to cover. Simmer till cooked. Blend

Stir in a Boursin until melted or a Philadelphia type soft cheese with garlic and herbs grin

EdwardorEricCantDecide Thu 20-Sep-12 14:00:30

haha after googling i have discovered a whole website dedicated to just courgette recipes grin

www.courgetterecipes.co.uk/

MousyMouse Thu 20-Sep-12 14:00:37

chop them up and freeze for the winter?
I like to make a stew with mince onions courgettes that goes well with pasta or as base for a cottege pie (sort of bolognese without tomatoes)
or moussaka (instead of aubgergines)

forevergreek Thu 20-Sep-12 14:08:04

We make carrot and courgette muffins

babybouncer Sat 22-Sep-12 18:40:09

I stuffed some marrows with a save made from fried onions, chorizo, tinned toms and topped with manchego cheese and breadcrumbs - I assume it would work in a big courgette.
Grate them to make fritters.
Saw a recipe for courgette cake on cbeebies website.
Fry with bacon/pancetta and stir through Creme fraiche and grated cheddar on pasta.
Chop into batons for stir fry.
Also good on pasta with cream cheese sauce and toasted pine nuts.
Hmm ... Didn't realise I ate so much courgette!

mummypigof3 Sat 22-Sep-12 19:16:12

Slice/mandolin thin slices lengthways and griddle/ BBQ to char. Dressing with garlic, olive oil, mint, lemon and chopped chilli. Jamie recipe.

JamInMyWellies Sat 22-Sep-12 19:19:16

We had huge amounts still got a few hanging around. I have made quiches, cakes, muffins, chutney, pasta sauce. Am going to use the last lot in soups easy to freeze. Got to all recipes . Co . Uk loads of good ones there. Or check out allotment websites generally good recipes on the forums.

janmoomoo Mon 24-Sep-12 17:39:10

Marinated courgettes and lovely - delia recipe here

dotty2 Mon 24-Sep-12 17:43:28

There's a good recipe in Mary Berry for a loaf cake involving walnuts and buck wheat flour - can find it if that floats your boat. Also a very odd one in Nigella for a Victoria Sandwich cake with grated courgette in it that drew reactions ranging from bemusement to horror when I tried it on the family. Perhaps I should have peeled them to avoid the green-fleck effect.

MamaMary Tue 25-Sep-12 15:59:54

OK everyone. I am making this recipe tonight:

Tuna stuffed marrow

I have a three marrows to use up so thought I'd give it a go. Will only use one with this though.

I'll let you know how it turns out!

dotty2 Tue 25-Sep-12 21:42:44

Umm - I'd be interested to know. Have never stuffed a marrow - it just seems like food from another age. It makes me think of my mother's ancient Good Housekeeping Recipe Book c.1960, with things set in aspic. But am prepared to be disproved - let me know if it's delicious!

MamaMary Wed 26-Sep-12 22:09:02

Resounding success. Tasty and SO filling. DH and I could not finish one marrow between us. Was amazed at how filling it is. Healthy and very cheap too. If you make it, be sure to add loads of grated cheddar... smile

dotty2 Thu 27-Sep-12 11:48:27

OK, you've convinced me - have all the ingredients in, so that's a free meal and will give it a go.

MamaMary Thu 27-Sep-12 22:57:58

Great - hope you like it smile

InfinityWelcomesCarefulDrivers Thu 27-Sep-12 23:00:51

[[ http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/1574760-well-i-know-i-am-but-i-want-the-guy-next-to-me-to-just-GO-AWAY?msgid=34416638#34416638 does this help?]]

InfinityWelcomesCarefulDrivers Thu 27-Sep-12 23:01:36

Sorry
does this help?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now