Talk

Advanced search

What shall I do with my beetroot?

(18 Posts)
TimothyTumblespring Tue 18-Sep-12 17:35:18

A friend of mine has given me some lovely bits and pieces from his vegetable patch. One of them is beetroot. I have no idea what to do with or what it will taste nice with. Actually, I don't even know what beetroot tastes like!
Please inspire me.
Thanks

Vix07 Tue 18-Sep-12 17:38:16

Ooh my favourite vegetable! Why not try juicing them with a whole lemon? or making a tart tatin - Hugh Fearnley- Whatisname has a great recipe or just use frozen puff pastry. Goes well roasted in a salad too!

BertieBotts Tue 18-Sep-12 17:39:01

I put it in a curry, the black pepper masala by sharwoods (it's a jar, I'm lazy) with some chicken and other vegetables.

It turned the curry a weird blood sort of colour but it tasted really nice with the spiciness because it's kind of creamy and sweet so helped tone it down a bit without taking the heat out.

DogsCock Tue 18-Sep-12 17:39:59

I adore beetroot, I just boil it and scoff it on it's own!

beginnersluck Tue 18-Sep-12 17:41:16

Grate it, raw, and mix with grated carrot, a chopped apple and orange and lemon juice and olive oil. My favourite salad as a child!

minceorotherwise Tue 18-Sep-12 17:43:09

Wrap in tinfoil & roast in the oven
Skin slips off easily when cooked
Lovely

greenhill Tue 18-Sep-12 17:50:46

Boil or roast it and eat it hot. Delicious.

TimothyTumblespring Tue 18-Sep-12 18:15:30

Thank you one and all.

If roasting or boiling do I need to peel first?

Will it make my wee pink? grin

greenhill Tue 18-Sep-12 18:19:23

No, just wash and scrub it clean first. As said above the skin comes off easily when it is done. Depends on size too, but make sure you have a rolling boil for at least 5 minutes, before letting it simmer, if you can stab a knife in it, it will be done.

mrsvilliers Tue 18-Sep-12 21:45:15

Chocolate and beetroot brownies, I've just added a recipe to my blog http://www.toddler-recipes.co.uk/recipe-blog.html. sounds very wrong but tastes very right !

mrsvilliers Tue 18-Sep-12 21:46:47

Also nice with goat's cheese/mozzarella and a bit of balsamic vinegar.

BornToFolk Tue 18-Sep-12 21:51:50

chocolate and beetroot brownies are delicious! They go a lovely colour too.

I also make beetroot and apple soup that it divine. It's made with beetoot, potatoes and a cooking apple.

NellyJob Tue 18-Sep-12 21:53:54

beetroot soup (borchst/barszsz)

beginnersluck Wed 19-Sep-12 13:57:23

Not sure about pee but if you eat enough your poo'll go red and small children'll insist on showing their mum!

ScariestFairyByFar Thu 20-Sep-12 20:06:59

Send it to me so I can roast it grin

seabuckthorn Sat 22-Sep-12 19:57:59

mrsv great blog! I have 2 toddlers so this is right up my street!

Drladybird Tue 25-Sep-12 20:27:40

I love beetroot. It is great roasted and eaten with goats cheese. It is also really nice in curry as BertieBotts says. I have a good beetroot and yoghurt curry recipe that my 18 month old daughter just loves (although it can get a bit messy):
broccoliandricecakes.wordpress.com/2012/08/21/beetroot-and-yoghurt-curry/

cashmere Wed 26-Sep-12 18:31:17

When I was vege I used to often have beetroot (boil in the bag) with cheese sauce (ideally with Parmesan added) and French stick. Maybe some rocket on the side.

I googled it and came across this recipe with blue cheese.
www.grouprecipes.com/96495/cauliflower-and-roasted-beetroot-in-blue-cheese-sauce.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now