Talk

Advanced search

Vegan party food

(18 Posts)
zebedeeboing Sun 08-Apr-12 20:27:35

Im having dds first birthday party in a months time think I have 2 vegan people coming what can I feed them. Its just an afternoon thing so just doing sandwiches, cakes, sausages, etc all finger food for others but what can I do that will be vegan friendly finger food?

gothicmama Sun 08-Apr-12 20:36:07

Crudites, humous,

bamps33 Sun 08-Apr-12 20:39:30

Hummus is always a good one - with pitta and carrot sticks, celery, etc. Could also make guacamole and baba ganoush - if you buy guac double check the ingredients as it often has cream/other dairy in to bulk it out.

Bruschetta
Not exactly finger food but a couscous/lentil salad?
Sliced up fresh fruit

If it's only an afternoon thing they prob won't be very hungry so as long as you have a few little bits I'm sure they'll appreciate it!

UnChartered Sun 08-Apr-12 20:43:06

tabouleh

hummous

veg crudites

potato wedges with salsa

couscous with apricot and toasted almonds

green salad

falafel in pitta

MrsMagnolia Sun 08-Apr-12 23:16:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GogoTheSmall Mon 09-Apr-12 07:13:34

Tesco has got a load of vegan-friendly cakes, biscuits etc in the 'free from' range

zebedeeboing Mon 09-Apr-12 09:59:31

Thanks for the ideas they'll only be one vegan and maybe 2 veggies so looking for ideas that will appear to all, these ideas are great thanks grin

ChasedByBees Mon 09-Apr-12 23:00:42

I like crostinis (French bread 'coins' sliced about a cm thick, drizzled in olive oil and cooked in the oven for a few minutes.

Vegan toppings include a dollop of guacamole (check its not been made with mayo or any dairy or make it yourself), a sunblush tomato and if you want to be very posh, a chive balanced on top grin

Some nachos are vegan, with salsa they're nice.

ChasedByBees Tue 10-Apr-12 06:39:59

P.S. check the nachos ingredients for milk powder.

fascicle Tue 10-Apr-12 11:15:32

Lots of good ideas. Would also suggest vegetable samosas, pakoras, bhajis, spring rolls etc (if buying from supermarket, would just need to check ingredients for milk or yoghurt).

kipperandtiger Mon 16-Apr-12 00:06:53

Couscous is a good vegan main meal - raisins and chick peas/almonds, with carrot/thinly sliced cooked peppers/sliced veg of your choice will make a good cold salad type main course, or warm main course. If you have children who are allergic to nuts, then you'll have forgo the almonds. You can also buy or make (if you are comfortable with cooking Oriental food) Oriental fried rice with peas, sweetcorn, peppers, spring onion, etc.

A lot of Asian or Chinese party food - eg samosas/bhajis, spring rolls, etc can come in a vegan version - often v appealing even for omnivores.

Marks and Spencer's party food list on their website and Waitrose Entertaining website have great ideas, regardless of whether you purchase from them or not. M&S v helpful with tags about which of their dishes are vegan. HTH!

kipperandtiger Mon 16-Apr-12 00:09:02

PS A friend with a child who is dairy allergic said that Waitrose's aisles/online have a very good range of vegan food. Also dairy-free chocolate, dairy-free and egg-free biscuits.

Lauralovesbaking Thu 28-Mar-13 20:31:51

You can get Linda McCarntney sausages and sausage rolls that are vegan if you want to give the vegans something similar to what everyone else is eating...

Also you could make one of these cake/cookie recipes as they turn out quite well, and the other guests won't be able to tell that they don't have dairy/eggs, they're so good. heavenlyveganbaking.wordpress.com/2013/03/26/vegan-gingerbread-men-well-sheep-actually/

Otherwise hummus and falafel is always a massive hit with any vegan, so you can never go wrong with that.

trixymalixy Thu 28-Mar-13 20:33:24

Was going to suggest vodka infused cherry tomatoes, but maybe not the best idea for a toddler's party!!!!

monsterchild Thu 28-Mar-13 20:36:21

I recommend that you make everything Croatian vegan so that there is enough for everyone. I can't tell you how many times I've been stuck without a lunch because an omnivore has decided the non meat food was better!

monsterchild Thu 28-Mar-13 20:37:27

Croatian? Damn you autocorrect! That should be veggie or vegan

sashh Fri 29-Mar-13 06:17:10

filo is vegan so filo with vegan fillings such as mushroom.

Pasta salad - use cheap pasta it doesn't have egg in it.

Flapjacks.

chats - deep fried new potatoes.

vegi crisps/ wedges made with potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnip and carrots.

stuffed peppers.

CRbear Sat 30-Mar-13 13:06:38

Fresh Vietnamese spring rolls, rice paper wrapped around thinly sliced veg (think cucumber, carrot, peppers and cabbage) which have been lightly marinaded in in a little soy and lemon juice, with sweet chilli dipping sauce or more soy sauce. Really easy, healthy, tasty and they look impressive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now