Talk

Advanced search

Brunch ideas for Mother's Day

(10 Posts)
TickledOnion Wed 07-Mar-12 14:51:12

We are doing a brunch for DM, DMIL and families.
Normally we would just do bagels, scrambled egg and smoked salmon and other bagel toppings but I want to do something a bit different as it's a special occasion. There will be 10 - 15 people.
Any ideas what we could make? It has to be vegetarian or fish (no meat or shellfish) due to religious requirements.
Thanks

karmakameleon Wed 07-Mar-12 16:09:11

Can't link because I'm on the iPad but if you google "smitten kitchen brunch" the first hit you get is how to host brunch and still sleep in. Lots of fantastic ideas for make ahead brunch ideas or things you can whip up quickly on the day. There's plenty of veggie options in amongst them.

thereistheball Wed 07-Mar-12 19:38:11

My favourite brunch dish is chorizo hash. Delia does a recipe. Serve with chopped avocado, sour cream, chopped parsley. it does take a bit of effort on the morning though.

And the best brunch drink is sparkling wine, Campari and blood orange juice (can get in M&S).

Or what about a huge pile of pancakes (done the day before and reheated) with a variety of toppings for people to help themselves to: ham, emmental, fried mushrooms and onions (done while pancakes are on), guacamole, fried eggs, tomato sauce, etc, to be followed by chopped strawberries and squirty cream, bananas and maple syrup or peanut butter, Nutella, jam etc. The table will look good with lots of bowls to choose from, and everyone gets exactly what they want to eat.

thereistheball Wed 07-Mar-12 19:47:26

Oh sorry, missed the veggie / fish criteria. You could do a hash of potatoes with red peppers and onions, with garlic and lots of hot smoked paprika. Serve with the avocado, sour cream, chopped coriander.

Or do the pancakes with smoked salmon, sliced red onions, guacamole, eggs, cream cheese, sour cream, capers, lemon wedges.

TickledOnion Wed 07-Mar-12 20:06:58

Lovely ideas thanks.
I didn't know you could reheat pancakes. Would you do American style thick ones or than thin crepes?
I'll have a look at the smitten kitchen website. Thanks.

thereistheball Wed 07-Mar-12 20:09:37

I'd do a stack of thin ones. I think the thick ones need to be made fresh.

TickledOnion Wed 07-Mar-12 20:54:53

Thanks thereistheball.
karmakameleon - that website is great. Americans really know how to do brunch properly. My mouth is watering at some of the recipes. smile

CharlotteBronteSaurus Wed 07-Mar-12 21:00:09

nigella's apple kuchen from Domestic Goddess to serve alongside the savoury stuff
an adaptation of the recipe is here - definitely add flaked almonds though
you can make the dough the night before, and then finishing it off in the morning is no biggie.

karmakameleon Thu 08-Mar-12 05:32:02

It's a lovely blog isn't it? Just in case you need more ideas, you can also go to the recipes index on the blog and there is a section of breakfast recipes, including ones that she has done since she wrote the brunch post.

One thing she doesn't mention that I always like to include as part of the spread is homemade granola and greek yoghurt to go with it. Very easy and delicious. Nigella has a good recipe in Feast.

Otherwise I think she's pretty much got all bases covered!

We3KingyOfOblomovAre Tue 22-Dec-15 10:05:09

We have been invited to a Christmas brunch, in a few days, in between Christmas and New Year. Asked to contribute a dish, which I like doing. but I don't know what to do.

The host is vegetarian but many of the other guests aren't.
Any suggestions please?
I am a reasonable cook, but not brilliant. prefer to follow a recipe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now