Talk

Advanced search

Anyone recommend me a rice cooker

(14 Posts)
otchayaniye Sun 04-Mar-12 12:10:52

Preferably glass lidded, medium capacity and non stick?

TooEasilyTempted Sun 04-Mar-12 15:07:42

I've had a Breville rice cooker which I managed to set on fire, and currently an Argos own brand (Cookworks I think?). The Argos one is as good as the Breville one and was less than half the price. The Breville on was around £40, the Argos one was on offer at £14.

The only thing I don't like about them is there is a layer of crispy rice on the bottom of the bowl no matter how long I cook it for and which type of rice I use.

Scootergrrrl Sun 04-Mar-12 15:11:59

I have this one and never have a problem with crispy rice. No glass lid though...

sharond101 Sun 04-Mar-12 22:26:45

I have the same one as Skootergirl and find it amazing. I use it to steam veg and cook rice simultaneously or individually.

TerrorNova Mon 05-Mar-12 02:51:23

I have a zojirushi. It's the brand if you want a Japanese rice cooker. If I understood what you mean by glass lids as a simple lid like a saucepan, they splatter and is not good. A proper rice cooker have an inner lid/catch to stop the steam 'rushing' out via the steam hole on the lid. Also rice cookers shouldnt leave a crust at the bottom. It means the cooker is rubbish, sorry to say. It also is very wasteful unless you cook for many because you have to cook more to account for the rice stuck to the bottom.

otchayaniye Mon 05-Mar-12 10:14:18

Thanks. I had a zojirushi when Ilived in Asia and it had a clear lid. Will look them up. Was sure they weren't available here

TerrorNova Mon 05-Mar-12 12:12:42

Ah maybe they now have even fancier ones! I thought it's those simple ones that is like a saucepan lid. The better ones all have an inner lid, and I sort of struggle to imagine how it can be clear and have an inner lid.

louby78 Mon 05-Mar-12 16:07:22

I have this and it's amazing!! www.jamieoliver.com/jme/kitchen/preparation/info/the-really-good-rice-pot/100734.html It doesn't leave a crust at the bottom, you can do it in the microwave for up to 4 people and you have wonderful fluffly rice. Oh and you can serve it in this pot at the table and it looks wonderful. It is a bit pricey though - i got mine from a jamie party I hosted.

otchayaniye Mon 05-Mar-12 19:32:30

Ahh, is that for a microwave? I don't have one.

otchayaniye Mon 05-Mar-12 19:33:38

Think I've found a Sanyo one which is slightly less than the zozhi one. Yen makes them expensive sadly

louby78 Tue 06-Mar-12 19:05:01

Yes, can do in the oven but if you put it in the microwave it takes 5mins then 8 mins to rest so quicker than oven and results the same. Really impressive.

barabra16 Tue 21-Mar-17 21:07:26

Have you tried the karmin professional rice cooker? works amazing!

HeadDreamer Tue 21-Mar-17 21:12:40

Zojirushi definitely. Did you live in Asia a long time ago? Glass lids ones are the older type. I remember them from when I was young and I'm in my 40s!

They all look like this now
zojirushi.com/app/category/rice-cookers

Wincarnis Thu 23-Mar-17 06:15:38

Agree with previous posters, Zojirushi. Have you got any Chinese supermarkets near you? they usually stock them (or you can at least have a look at them before ordering online)

I have a 25 year old National with metal 'saucepan' lid that clatters when the rice is almost done grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now