Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Lebanese 7 spice blend - uses?

(8 Posts)
Selks Sun 22-Jan-12 11:41:17

I've bought a small bag of a spice mix labelled 'Lebanese 7 spice mix' .....it smells gorgeous and contains allspice, black pepper, cinnamon, cloves, fenugreek, nutmeg and ginger.

It's used in Lebanese cuisine apparently, but I have no idea what to use it in or with. Google is not helping massively either.

Does anyone have any experience of using this spice blend? Any suggestions or recipes are very welcome.

I have found this recipe for muhummara dip which uses it. Look pretty tasty, might give that a go.

I have in my mind that I'd like to do a lamb dish using the spice blend somehow.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 22-Jan-12 14:16:18

That's pretty close to a Moroccan spice blend and there are quite a few recipes around for 'tagine' dishes involving lamb that would work well with it.

Selks Sun 22-Jan-12 18:28:21

Yes, it is quite similar. Certainly intend to try some tagine dishes - but I also bought a bag of ras el hanout spice mix for that! grin. Thanks for your suggestion though.

Anyone else got any ideas? Any Lebanese / Middle eastern recipes that might use it?

I like unusual herbs and spices. I bought some sumac as well.

otchayaniye Wed 25-Jan-12 21:59:07

do you mean za'atar?

otchayaniye Wed 25-Jan-12 22:02:31

if it is (should look greenish thymey sort of stuff with bits in) it's usually either spread on unleavened bread with olive oil. or else eaten with labneh (yoghurt) in various ways.

if it's a reddish powder, then i'm guessing it's just a generic middle east concoction and could be added to grilled meats such as shawarma

otchayaniye Wed 25-Jan-12 22:03:35

i love sumac too. great on fattoush and hummous (you could interchange with zaatar) or on grilled meats

otchayaniye Wed 25-Jan-12 22:05:38

ahh, remembered what it is, you use it in kibbeh and minced lamb meshwi

monausher111 Sun 28-Dec-14 15:56:52

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now