Talk

Advanced search

Help! Toffee didn't set - can it be saved?

(6 Posts)
PrincessOfWails Fri 23-Dec-11 18:22:35

Can it be saved, or can I do anything with it? It's a treacle toffee, family recipe!

Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
TheArmadillo Fri 23-Dec-11 18:26:23

put it back in the saucepan and reheat it. It usually means it didn't get hot enought the first time.

Either that or use it/package it as toffee sauce (not that I have done this oh no wink)

CMOTdibbler Fri 23-Dec-11 18:28:25

Chuck it back in the saucepan and reboil - it didn't reach the full temperature first time

PrincessOfWails Fri 23-Dec-11 18:38:21

OK, thanks - I did wonder. It's back in now.
How hot should I aim for? I went for hard ball (!), according to my thermometer, but I do wonder whether I should be aiming for hard crack?

This could be fun if googled...!

OP’s posts: |
tb Mon 26-Dec-11 19:30:20

I've found that results from dropping some in a little cold water are more reliable than using a thermometer, as it's hard to be sure that it's all at the same temperature.

Busymumof3crazykids Sun 25-Nov-18 13:24:47

I've just made homemade toffee for the first time it tastes lovely and creamy but not hardening! I've been reading tips but see they're a little dated so wondering if it's still ok to put back in the pan to reheat after it's been in the fridge. Would appreciate any tips please. No thermometer I'm afraid mine broke so need a new one. blush

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »