Talk

Advanced search

10" madeira cake recipe please

(2 Posts)
tiger66 Wed 26-Oct-11 08:54:19

I am making a 10" round cake for my ds 3rd b.day. Can anyone give me the measurements for a madeira cake? I was going to do 2 and sandwich them together.

Thanks

4merlyknownasSHD Wed 26-Oct-11 09:14:57

We have a Madeira recipe that you can use for any sized cake. It is a one egg mix that produces 15 sq.inches of cake (good enough for a 3" x 5" cake) which you just multiply up for different cake sizes.

A 10" round cake is 78.5 sq.inches (Pi R squared). Divide that by 15 and you get 5.23. If you call that 5, then you multiply this recipe by 5.

1 medium egg (5 eggs)
2ozs SR Flour (10ozs)
1oz Plain Flour (5ozs)
2oz Caster Sugar (10ozs)
2oz Butter (10ozs)
zest of half a lemon (2.5lemons)
1 tsp lemon juice (5tsp)

Cream butter and sugar, then add the eggs (one at a time). You may need to add a little flour after two eggs, and a little more after four. Add lemon zest and juice, then fold in the rest of the flour. Bake in a moderate oven (160 deg.C or Gas Mark 3) for 50 - 55 minutes.

This should give you a cake of around 2 " depth. To stop it rising too much in the middle, I have heard it worth scooping the mix away from the middle towards the outside of the cake just before you put it in the oven, but I have never done that myself.

It is probably worth puting a sheet of greaseproof paper over the top at 40 mins to prevent the top drying out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now