Talk

Advanced search

out-of-date bread flour?

(6 Posts)
ReshapeWhileDamp Tue 25-Oct-11 08:13:15

I used to make bread quite frequently, but since we moved house and DS2 was born last December, I realise that I haven't made any for about a year. (this year has flown! confused) I just checked my cupboard and all my bread flours are badly out of date - the 'newest' was sell-by last January. sad That's a sealed packet, too.
So are they really out of date? Stale-tasting? Weevil-ridden? What happens to old flour? Is it a gluten issue, maybe? In the interests of economy, I'd hate to chuck it all out, but in the interests of time-economy (DS2 doesn't really allow me much bread-making time) I don't want to spend ages making bread that doesn't do what it's supposed to do. grin

Any ideas?

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 25-Oct-11 10:48:45

Check for weevils, obviously, but there's little else that can happen to (white?) flour in a sealed packet. Brown flour contains the oil of the wheatgerm etc., which can go rancid and therefore bring down storage time, but white flour is a lot more sterile and keeps very happily in dry conditions for yonks. I'd cook it up and judge by the taste.

SinicalSal Tue 25-Oct-11 15:38:20

It smells, according to my sister, you'd know if it was gone off.

ReshapeWhileDamp Tue 25-Oct-11 19:19:53

Darn, it's all either malted flour or wholemeal. I'll open them up and have a sniff/taste - can't lose anything! smile

acsec Tue 25-Oct-11 19:23:39

If it's no good to eat, make scented playdough for the DCs (obvs not if weevil infested!).

minimammoth Tue 25-Oct-11 19:29:47

And tiny little mites. Ugh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now