Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Understanding my slow cooker

(5 Posts)
leaky Tue 25-Oct-11 08:08:17

I've recently bought a cheap tesco s.c for £9, great but the instructions aren't that helpful. Is there anyone out there with the same or very similar (cheap!) that can help?

The instructions tell me that I can choose from OFF LOW HIGH & WARM.

LOW can also be used for heating up cooked food

HIGH the normal slow-cooking setting. Cooking time is around 7-8 hrs.

WARM keeps recently cooked food warm.

My question is that a lot of threads I've read, people tend to cook on the low setting.As mine states low CAN ALSO be used for heating up cooked food, what else can it be used for? Cooking? And for more like 10 + hrs? Asking because sometimes I put food on by 7am & might not want to eat til 5-6pm.

Just thought someone with the same s.c might beable to advise me. Thanx smile

dreamingofsun Tue 25-Oct-11 10:41:44

if you are cooking it for that long i'd use low. if for 6 hours ish i would use high. maybe best to try at weekend at first when you can keep an eye on it - but don't open lid too much

Catsmamma Tue 25-Oct-11 10:45:52

generally I use LOW if it is going to be on all day say from 10 till 6, and I use HIGH for anything else ...when i have a panic and throw it all in at lunchtime cos I forgot earlier.

I also almost always brown the meat, sweat the veg and make sure the stock is boiling before I put it in. ....esp for the shorter cooking times.

Chez catsmamma there is a Lamb tagine in progress :D

leaky Tue 25-Oct-11 19:12:42

Thanx for that....so do you both have a tesco's cheapy? Just worried incase my low doesn't cook!

clarabella18 Tue 25-Oct-11 19:49:46

Have the tesco cheapy and low does cook!
If I'm in the house I tend to start it on high if I've put it on early then turn down to low or low if I'm out all day.

I've used mine for all sorts, stews, curries, chilli and whole roast chicken and leg of pork.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now