Talk

Advanced search

Making a chocolate cake... what do you normally spread in between the top and bottom? Need a quick answer.

(11 Posts)
BlackCatinaWitchesHatonaBroom Sun 23-Oct-11 14:06:17

As you can probably guess from the title I have not done a lot of baking before
(novice).

Can anyone help?
What to put in middle?
How to make what you put in middle?

lesstalkmoreaction Sun 23-Oct-11 14:08:43

Butter cream or jam or both, butter cream is just icing sugar and butter creamed together.

EEEEKinthebeeswax Sun 23-Oct-11 14:11:12

Add some cocoa powder to above buttercream recipe.

Save eek a slice!

lborolass Sun 23-Oct-11 14:11:37

I wouldn't put jam in a chocolate cake, as lesstlk says, cream icing sugar and butter (don't use Stork as it doesn't taste good in icing). I use 2oz butter to 4oz icing sugar for an average size cake but you can make more or less, just keep the proportions the same.

cookielove Sun 23-Oct-11 14:12:01

I would suggest for a novice the simpliest thing would be a buttercream. (which you can buy pre made)

My mum does a really nice 7 minute icing which is very like meringue, but very soft and creamy - oh heaven!!

BlackCatinaWitchesHatonaBroom Sun 23-Oct-11 14:12:28

How would I make butter cream? Does anyone know the amounts of icing sugar and butter?
Can you use marge? I have no butter?

WOOOOOOOOManyBlossoms Sun 23-Oct-11 14:13:41

Nutella or chocolate spread. Asda do a white/milk chocolate spread which is gorgeous as a cake filling. In fact I've got a chocolate cake cooling right now ready to be filled with dark chocolate spread <healthy> grin

I like this one, should fill and cover an 8 inch cake

Chocolate fudge frosting
110g butter
90g baking chocolate
425g icing sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
175ml milk

Melt chocolate and butter in a bowl on top of a saucepan of simmering water (make sure the bowl doesn't touch the water). In a large bowl, combine icing sugar, vanilla and 120ml of the milk. Blend in the melted chocolate mixture. Add remaining milk, a little at a time, until it is thick and smooth..

Let stand until spreadable (frosting will thicken as it cools). Spread on cooled cake.

YougreatPumpkinmousse Sun 23-Oct-11 14:14:43

nutella and/or buttercream.

I use twice the amount of icing sugar to marg/butter and if it's too wet add a little more icng sugar, if it's too stiff add a tablespoon of milk.

BlackCatinaWitchesHatonaBroom Sun 23-Oct-11 14:16:51

Thanks all,
lborolass will give that butter cream a go smile

GypsyMoth Sun 23-Oct-11 14:23:20

I use Betty crocker sometimes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now