Talk

Advanced search

Gravy...

(7 Posts)
DizzyCow63 Fri 21-Oct-11 17:14:09

At the risk of sounding totally stupid, I haven't a clue how to make gravy blush I just use the instant granules, but as I am now starting to wean DS1 these are too high in salt for him. Can anyone tell me a quick, easy, and pretty much fool-proof recipe please? Also needs to be dairy-free due to allergies. Thank you!

Sweat some diced up carrot, onion and celery in olive oil for about 10 minutes over a low heat. For each pint of stock you'll be using, add 1 level tbls plain flour to the onion/carrot mix and cook through for a couple of minutes. Add the stock ladle by ladle stirring all the time, until it's all added, reduce the heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes or so to thicken. Freezes well, good basic gravy to have knocking around.

When you're feeling more adventurous start adding herbs etc according to what you're cooking, like some sage for pork or chicken, thyme for chicken, rosemary for beef or lamb etc etc.

DizzyCow63 Fri 21-Oct-11 17:54:01

Thank you so much, I'll make a batch and freeze it up tomorrow! grin

Freeze a load in ice cube trays, then just grab what you need for DS's meals, make a more exciting one for yourselves and freeze in 1/2 - 1 pint portions.

fergoose Fri 21-Oct-11 19:39:19

I have a gravy separator jug - so I pour any juice from the roasting tin into it, and then do as above fry onion add spoon of cornflour then pour the juice back in and stir. Bit of wine or mustard, redcurrant jelly or horseradish are also nice to add depending what you are eating the gravy with.

PomBearAtTheGatesOfDoom Fri 21-Oct-11 21:01:15

Or do what I do blush and use the Oxo low salt granules blush

BarkisIsWillin Sat 22-Oct-11 21:59:11

Just be careful if you're using stock - unless you make it yourself it's likely to contain a lot of salt so would be just as salty as using instant gravy. I would just use water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now