Talk

Advanced search

How much is 4 1/2 cups of cake batter approx ?

(3 Posts)
Rosa Fri 21-Oct-11 14:25:06

Am doing a 3d cake and the instructions ( American) say use 4 1/2 cups of batter from a ready made mix..... Erm I am making my own madiera or vic sponge mix . I am thinking about the same for an 8 inch sponge but I have never really looked at it in cups .... Before I do trial by error and make far too much so we wall have to stuff our faces with extra cake can anybody give me a rough idea please.......

stealthsquiggle Fri 21-Oct-11 14:30:25

American instructions are a nightmare - they all seem to use cake mix.

Hmm. I reckon a cupcake is about 1/3 cup of mixture (I only know that because my measuring cups are a convenient means of putting mixture into cake cases) - which means 4 1/2 cups is about a batch of 12 cupcakes (ish) - does that help at all??

Rosa Fri 21-Oct-11 14:33:16

So a batch of 12 is about what I use for a basic vic sponge a 2 egg one so if I do a 3 then I will have a bit left over just incase and I can do a few more cakes as well - it is for a birthday cake / party it just meas more decorating !

As for the cake mixes when I go on the American cake decorating sites you are right it is all cake mixes and ready batters....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now