Talk

Advanced search

jelly - how long will it last?

(12 Posts)
civilfawlty Thu 20-Oct-11 12:01:04

Ok. So, DD wants to make individual jellies for the kids at out wedding. They will have three different coloured layers, with fruit in the bottom layer too. I'm trying to plan the schedule. Can she start them on Sunday night, keep them in the fridge, and finish them on Thurs and Fri for consumption on Saturday?

Thanks

fergoose Thu 20-Oct-11 12:13:57

am sure it is only 24 hours for jelly

fergoose Thu 20-Oct-11 12:16:26

actually googling suggests 24 hours if contains fruit or couple days if plain.

wonder if it could be frozen instead?

betabaker Thu 20-Oct-11 12:36:21

When is the wedding? can you do a practise run?

fergoose Thu 20-Oct-11 12:48:22

I'm sure there is some bacteria you can get with jelly which can make you ill if it is kept too long.

I wouldn't eat it after 48 hours to be honest.

civilfawlty Thu 20-Oct-11 17:48:51

Ah. Wedding is next Saturday! Several '24 hours answers is enough for me. Thank you. Will do it last thing. Note to self-try not to leave EVERYTHING til the last minute in the future...

fergoose Thu 20-Oct-11 18:31:56

I hope you have a lovely wedding, jelly and all. smile

CristinaaarghdellAaarghPizza Thu 20-Oct-11 18:35:41

We eat jelly over three days (so make it Sunday, set overnight, eat it Mon-Wed)

No one has died yet but we do always put it back in the fridge

CristinaaarghdellAaarghPizza Thu 20-Oct-11 18:36:52

Actually if you only ate it over 24 hours, then there is no way you'd ever be able to make different coloured layers confused

CristinaaarghdellAaarghPizza Thu 20-Oct-11 18:38:23

Have just googled - general consensus seems to be 2 -2 1/2 weeks given they are just made of water, gelatin and flavour/colour

civilfawlty Fri 21-Oct-11 09:21:49

21/2 weeks... Interesting. Thank you somuch. And for the good wishes. Sitting here weeping over the overwhelmingness of it all (in a good way). Cant believe it's really happening!

betabaker Fri 21-Oct-11 18:52:28

Have just googled - general consensus seems to be 2 -2 1/2 weeks given they are just made of water, gelatin and flavour/colour
and sugar, don't forget there is loads of sugar in jelly - in a good way, it would kind of help preserve it - think how long jelly sweets last hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now